Accepting New Bids/Proposals for Community HOA Ground Maintenance

Discussion in 'Employment' started by csmlawn, Sep 26, 2009.

1. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Most of my contracts and the ones I see state something like "keep the lawns maintained between 3" to 4.5". This keeps the expectation of a good looking lawn while letting the contractor making the decisions of how often it needs to be cut.

2. csmlawn

csmlawn LawnSite Member

I don't mind doing number of cuts rather then biweekly. That's fine with me.

3. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Number of cuts or the height rule are both good ways to go.
    Cutting by the calender does not work because the lawn does not pay any attention to the calender.
    Good luck

4. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck on the bi-weekly thing. Any respectable lawn care operation is not going to provide that. It's bi-weekly only if it stops growing for that week around here. Usually means its a drought. You want to keep it well maintained with fert and then only mow it every two weeks to save money. It doesn't work that way. We have to work harder to get it back to looking good for the same price each week. You may want to get a price for either way. It will be cheaper in the long run bi-weekly (only because the trimming and fuel are less), but it will cost you more per cut. We personally say no to that and cut "as needed". Which usually means you will not get cut if it doesn't grow any considerable amount.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Every 7 days here May-Aug, with our heat and humidity you don't want to go any longer.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

And those reasons are?

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Scott you will get more reliable results if you put a ad in your local paper or call 5 or more landscape firms in your area and ask for proposals

8. ADVANCEDOHIO

ADVANCEDOHIO LawnSite Member

We cut 95% of ours "as needed". Its avgs 26-30 times a year. More often in the rainy faster growing seasons, and stretched out in the summer (dry) times. It always looks good and yer not overkilling or underkilling. I would go for a contract this way and your neighborhood would always look nice. I'm outta reach or I'd love to talk to ya. Good Luck!!!

Contract for XX times per year and you can get a budget balanced... Just my thoughts.

9. prn068

prn068 LawnSite Member

The bi weekly thing isnt that bad just bill accordingly it balances out in the end..

10. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

When I bid on a biweekly I charge more than a weekly!! HAHA! It works out. Most accounts sign to 35 cuts/ year - it takes a lot to take care of a property correctly.