access database?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by burninbill, Jan 20, 2003.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

How many of you guys are using Microsoft Access for you database needs? It looks like it would be nice to set up what fields you want where. I have not used this software at this point and just was wanting some feedback on what the opinion was for using databases.
    Also if anyone that uses Access has a sample please let me know.

2. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

I guess I'll be the first one to tell you that I use the database for my lawn maintenance business. I have the queries set up for each day of the week and use it for routing as well. I works fine and at the price of Office 2000 will probably never purchase any of the specialty software that starts from $500 and up.
  3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I think how this would work would depend on your computer expertise and what kind of info you want to get.

Upside - customize to your hearts content, get all the reports you want, change it any time you want it.

Downside - You have to design it. You have to design reports, you have to decide what you really need, etc.

If you are using something else (like Quickbooks) to do your accounting, you might wind up entering a lot of info twice. It could be cheaper and definitely easier to use a canned program, but maybe you can't get it to handle info the way you want to.
  4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Access. Hard to learn, but once you got it, it's nice.

Of course, that's easy for me to say as I pay someone else to manage it.
  5. Brother1

Brother1 LawnSite Member

Hey guys - am fairly new to this site - been on plowsite awhile and getting tons of info so also signed on this one and looks like it will be a big help also. I also wondered about using Access. I currently have things set up in Excel where i track the daily work and keep the accounting for each month in there on a daily basis than i sort it by customer numbers at the end of the month and than go to quickbooks to generate each customers invoice. I don't know really anythign about Access so if any of you guys have a database to share or any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Joe
  6. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to look into ACT! ..
  7. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

We use MS Access to keep eveything about our customers except billing. (Use QBooks for A/R and A/P) Access is great because you can design and set it up just the way you want it. I just started using Pendragon Forms to incorporate my desktop database with my Palm. So far it works great. Have to wait till spring for the real test. I'm hoping we can track cutting time, mower maintenance, pesticide usage, employee hrs., inventory and more on the Palm. Then just Hotsynk it to the desktop for reports/graphs.

Alot of the software programs you buy will be made with a database. Clip is built in FoxPro. Lawnmonkey and QXpress is made with Access(i think?).

If you want to start collecting data in Access, just start with a simple customer form. Include fields like; Customer ID#, First Name, Last Name, Address, Zip code, Phone#, Etc...
  8. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

Just my thoughts on Access.

The program is great. You can track everything and anything.

The only caveat is that you need to design it right. It is'nt a real simple program when you're trying to create a complex database.
    By the way, if you wanted, you could setup AR and AP and actually have it print income statements and balance sheets.

I've used it to track eqpt for our dealership since our "canned" accounting package can't handle serialized inventory properly.

Unless you're really comfortable with it, I would recommend talking with someone who is and get an estimate on cost to create it for you. That way, you'll get what you want, it will work, and you won't waste your time trying to get it right.

If you have any interest, a friend of mine now does some programming on the side( he teaches advanced Access among other programs at a local business school). I could get you in touch with him and let you two work it out.

email me @ if you're interested.

Good luck, ScottH