Access Problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ccstrebe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

I store my Cat and the laser grader in a 20ft cargo container. The problem is, how do I get up and over the tracks to get to the cab. It is not easy, those tracks are 3ft tall and it is even harder to get back down when leaving. There is no where to get a step up/down to/from the top of the tracks

Also there is an inside grease fitting up high that is difficult to get to when greasing the Cat.

014.JPG

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

back the cat into the trailer.

3. ccstrebe

Here are some pictures of my solution, I used the existing threaded bolt holes that are used for counter weights, plus I drilled an extra one at the bottom, that was some hard to drill Cat metal, let me tell you:

017.JPG

025.JPG

020.JPG

026.JPG

4. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

She still looks new,

5. ccstrebe

I have put 50 hours on her so far. She will always look new because I'm the only one that uses it and I'm not using it in any conditions that would cause damage it to, plus I store it inside, out of the sun. I already had my laborer detail it after the last time I washed it.

This one is a keeper!

6. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

that is some nice fab work.

always like to see someones pride in there machine.

7. ccstrebe

Thanks.

It was a two day project. First, I had to make a mock-up out of 1/4" wood. Then I took it down to the metal guy and he cut and welded all the parts together (I got lucky, he did it the same day). Then I drilled the mounting holes and fit it in place. Next was all the prep work (grinding and sanding) to make it look pretty before priming and painting it.

Lots of running around..........bolts/washers at the farm/home store, primer at Home Depot, paint at the Cat dealer, grip tape at the boat shop, a trip back to the welder for some fine tuning.

I like building things (that's what I am) and I had fun doing this project, but metal work sure is a dirty job, I could never do it for a living.

8. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't you back the loader into the trailer so you could have easier access to it?

9. ccstrebe

I tried it once, it is a lot easier to back out than it is to back in. There is not much room to spare on each side, it is tight. Also, the laser grader is stored in the front of the container and there is just enough room for the both of them. If I tried to back in I would risk running into it and damaging both units.

Besides, the steps are very helpful when greasing and steam cleaning the Cat now.

10. E.B

E.B LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

keep the pics comin...