Accessing/Loosening Blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by billyebrown, Jul 6, 2004.

1. billyebrown

billyebrown LawnSite Member

Well I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and bought a Min Z 19/52. Overall I pretty happy with it. Just turned over 10 hours.

I am a slightly disappointed with cut quality. Clumps w/wet grass which I know is not the best scenario but sometimes weather doesn't cooperate. Also even in dry conditions it misses some random blades of grass but especially on right side. I do need to qualify that I have not sharpened bllades and hope doing so will eliminate this.

Here lies my problem. I tried a couple of days ago to take off the blades to sharpen them but could not budge any of them. What's the best way to do this? I thought I would take it back to the dealer and see if he would loosen them or take them off then I could oil them and not over-tighten. Is there a method suggested for locking the blades so you can loosen the bolts with out risking injury?

I had a walkbehind previously and just braced with a wrench on top but this is not working so far on the Mini.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have your dealer take a look at the deck pitch and levelness.
    He may also need to check the engine RPM's, any of these being off could cause your unit to not cut correctly.
    While the unit is there have them loosen up the spindle bolts, they are installed at the factory with a impact wrench, and sometimes can be a bear to remove the first time by hand.
    Have them reinstall them by hand, this will take care of tightness problem.
    I generally use a block of wood to stop the blade from turning and use a 1/2 inch breaker bar and socket to loosen and reinstall blades when I do not have access to a air impact wrench.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I also have the 19/52 mini. The bolts were tough to loosen the first time but like he said, just use a block of wood and a "cheater" bar to loosen and tighten them from now on and you should be fine. I also had a small problem with some blades of grass on the right side not being cut. I figured it could have been the fact that that blade seems to have to work through the largest amount of grass seeing how the discharge from the other two blades flows into that blade. Be sure to keep your deck extremely clean underneath. Clean it spotless and coat the underside with WD-40. This will help the grass flow out better and grass won't stick to the deck for quite a while. Every couple weeks clean it and re coat it with WD-40 and that should help keep the flow going smoothly so that blade won't be working as hard.