Accident, everything i own is totaled!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jul 14, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

so I decide to take a week off. My crew is experienced enough where I can trust them, They know where all my accounts are and how they need to be cut. Sunday afternoon i take a nice drive down to Va. stay at friends for the night and Monday i finally arrive in the outer banks of north Carolina. Tuesday, i'm about 30 miles off shore over a school of dolphin, and the phone rings. My foreman saying something bout an accident, but i had no reception and couldn't hear details. So we get back in shore i get the whole speal and leave at 7 pm for home on my 10 hour i find out what happened. My truck was at a mechanic's garage getting a new trailer break installed, new plug end, breaks on truck, transfer case oil, and some other guys go to pick up the truck and trailer on Tuesday, he tells them they are all set to roll. I did not leave him with a receiver or ball hitch so he just used his own and told my guys to not worry about the ball, just bring it back later. So my guys get about 5 miles and the trailer detaches completely from the truck and takes out a telephone pole. no chains nothing. all equipment is wrecked, rider went flying into the walk behind, snapped the motor off, broke off the casters bent the deck, handlebars went though the front of the trailer. straight shaft weed whackers became curved shaft weed whackers, back pack blowers in pieces.

So as i get home, i pull up to my truck, walk up to the ball and see a 2in in stead of a 2 5/16 ball. as upset as i am with my guys for not checking that it was on right and not noticing that the chains were on, i know i wouldn't have checked either.i problally would have noticed the trialer bucking like it would have been but i can't blame them for that. And the fact that that the mechanic said your all set to go and bring the ball back later make me feel that he is responsible. I am going to be filing charges against him but i don't think the guy has insurance or i can even get $10,000 out of him he is so broke. I'm estimating the damages at $11,000 - $14,0000 not including lost wedges or the telephone pole.

I will post the pics as soon as i get them developed.
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow dude I am still stunned since you had told me that, that is insane. If there is anything I can help ya out with let me know. One thing I learned from my boss is always check the trailer twice, you check it and another guy checks it as well, but what can ya do, itd be hard to notice the different ball size. Sorry to hear about the bad luck, lemme know if i can help ya out.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I am very sorry for what has happened and hope that you will be okay up and running real soon. So next time you 'd better trust nobody otherwise you know what will be. Who said employees are good? It is part of running company headache. Best regards.
  4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you have a case against the mechanic.

The driver is responsible for ensuring the vehicle is safe and in good condition before taking it on the road.

I'm really sorry to hear it, it certainly sucks big time, but I don't see how the mechanic would be responsible regardless what he might have told your guys.

Good luck man!
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

that sucks, im sorry. however, be thankful noone got hurt
  6. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Ouch, why no safety chains??????

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Insurance claim?
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

What about your Insurance. let them be the ones filing charges.....

Why no reciever hitch on your truck all of the time....Takes the guess work out of the Ball question

Did the breakway function? Probably not since chains were not hooked.

Time to get a new crew...among other things....

Sorry for bad luck....This is a good reason why traing on circle checks and Pre trip inspections are worth it...
  9. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sorry man that has to suck. Get some pics on here
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that sounds like a nightmare......

at least it was not a minivan full of kids that the trailer hit.