Accident now what ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

7 weeks ago I had a Motocross accident. And had broken both my wrists and was out of work for a 2 of the weeks till I could bare the pain to bend my fingers. What should I do next time to prepare myself for this. I plan on this spring bringing in more business and having others work for me. So if this does happen I can use a ZTR and let them use w.b's and trim does this sound preety full proof ? I plan once this takes place to do more racing I currently run around 25-30 races on the east coast and plan on doing atleast 50 come next year. I cant expand my racing till my company expands so I wait for each call anxiously just hoping for the big call $$$$$..
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you are a one man operation, then I would suggest you get out of your high risk hobby of motocross racing. What happens to your business if you break a leg at the peak of mowing season. Even if you have hired help, what kind of job will they do for you if you are laid up at home with a broken leg or back injury. At this point, you are your most valuable asset. You had better take care of yourself.Earlier this year, someone here on lawnsite fell and hurt his back so he could not work. I believe he ended up losing a lot of his customers over this accident.:(
  3. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

(in my opinion) To be successful in this business you have to devote a lot of time and effort. The business will not grow and prosper without your full attention to it, especially in the prime grass-growong months. If you are serious about building a career business, forget summer vacations and pursuing time-consuming, expensive hobbies.
    AND you must be very careful to keep yourself healthy and free of injury.
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

which biz is your priority-only you know.

i guess only fool proof way is to have your crew able to run without you. would cost you, but you sound set on racing.
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

did you have a bad bail out bunton guy?
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you are young ,so just live it.but not being able to mow
    would be nothing compared to never being able to do anything for yourself sure youve thought that thru so ,like i said live fast ,love hard ,die young. thas the hoss that somefolks ride.later now
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

awm has it about right. if you're gonna race, do it now. because your bones are gonna heal better no than they will in just seven or eight years. you're looking at a short career standing on the pegs. good luck.

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

See I want to focus just a little less on mowing and have a person to help manage my company. I personally want to put more time into my racing to become pro. I know I can do both at the same time I just need about another 150 jobs and 3 workers LOL:cool:
  9. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I once read that "If you chase two rabbits, you'll lose' em both" - quoted from young successful businessman.
  10. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Earlier this summer I found myself climbing on a neighbors bmx bike and doing jumps way beyond my experience level. I wound up with a 2 inch gash in my shin that went clean to the bone and took 2 weeks just to scab over properly. This incident really made me think. I no longer allow myself the liberty of engaging in high risk activities. my wife and son depend on me and it is pure selfishness for me to behave in such a risky manner. Like a previous commentor said you have to decide what your prioities are. If your business is no. 1 then you should definitely 86 the racing.