accident prevented

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by northmichigan, Jun 10, 2005.

1. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

i've heard about some bad landscape accidents on this lawn site and wonder if anyone has any concrete ideas that prevent accidents from happening?
    whats it take to head them off at the pass?
  2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

hI, IT SEEMS TO ME WHEN YOU WORK ALONE YOU TAKE MORE CHANCES,, or if you're tired............Or if you know you shouldnt already be working, and you do anyway [ I went out to a tree job in progress, decided to help & cut 2-fingers with that saw?,lol,lol that was alotta help!!!!!!!!!!!].....I think fatigue is when you're the worst, you just dont think properly. When its hot, isnt that when your employees get really stupid?.......Sometimes I'll call a job off when its very hot or humid, just send everybody home :)
  3. northmichigan

yes when you are tired the mistakes multiply and people get hurt yet when i go to my hammock in the woods at 3:00 people say i'm lazy :rolleyes:
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure all your equiptment is in good working order,don't allow your people to smoke on the job only on break,wear clothing that wont get caught in machinery make sure all protective gear is worn,keep hands away,
    don't even look under equipment intell it's off,don't set hot blowers near flammable stuff or in your truck hot and right next to the gas can,
    Get proper sleep,take your breaks,eat when you should before your real real hungry.
    Watch where you are and where you are going,watch where you are going to put your feet and hands.Don't get into a hole over 3'deep unless it is supported on the sides and has a way to get out(ladder in the hole
    don't work in a deep hole with heavy equipment working near you.Use common sence when digging around utility lines underground and aboveground
    Shut doors and gates.
    Don't rush around like a mad person. :cool2:
  5. northmichigan

i like the sound of this post.sheshovel what about us solo hardscapers what can we do to stay safe?
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

All of the above and then some .... make sure you document everything... we do hazard assessments at the start of each job meetings etc etc etc..
    You may have to prove "due diligence" some day and you better have the paper work to back you up.
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I'm writing this after waking up with a sore back from a little too much lifting for an old fart like me. At least for me - and I work solo 99% of the time - my largest demise is perhaps my age, fifty years young. If I was still a young whippersnapper perhaps I could work the ten or twelve hour days and not have problems, but it's a bit tougher now, and what's really making it hard is the consistant "gotta go gotta hurry" stacked up projects and schedules.

Clients generally are anxious for you to start and finish their projects asap, and this can put pressure on you - well, it does me - and that often means burning the candle at both ends. Can't change the anxiousness of other people, and I find it tough to even change myself, but it's surely the latter that we have to work on if we're going to keep ourselves out of our graves. Right?
  8. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

I agree with everything already listed and to also have a written policy in place regarding machine maintenance, general safety, how to's etc..give a copy to every employee and have them sign off on it.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Critical care,50 is not old at all,complain when your 85 not 50.Cut your schedual and learn to say no to jobs.You will find yourself making more $ with less work and no rushing around.Specialize or drop some people from your schedual,too far away?Late payers?Pain to do lawns?Figure out whaTS wearing you out and stop it. :cool2:
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's 92 degrees here today and very humid i noticed it was getting to my workers and they wernt as focused as i liked.We finished up the last commercial job and i called it quits at 1 pm.They just better make up for it when it cools down later this week :)