Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Sep 16, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Long story short - last nite around 6:30. Unloaded both new Toro Z's at the building. Went to dump grass with trailer. Going to make a turn back to our building and waiting for traffic when BAMM & a jolt. Here a young male college student - admitting he was not paying attention re-ended me. His car went under the trailer, blew out the air bags on his car, smashed the hood, fender, windshield, car totaled. Trailer gate and gate assist were banged up pretty bad, the front of trailer got a little damage, the receiver on the truck total clasped ( body shop guys said they never seen one that bad where the whole thing gave way), dropped the bumper down, pushed my spare tire against the rear axle and exhaust, and tore out the mounting bolts in the frame.

All in all, no one hurt - just metal. I was just thankful the two new toro Z's with 10 & 17 hours weren't on the trailer cuz I rarely strape them down in town, they would of flew into the back of the truck. Today was a reminder to all the guys - SAFETY first. No more this "it is only a block away" attitude. First accident for me ever and now time to pratice what I always preach!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, I've had my Wb slam into the front of the trailer pretty hard, it's not nice when it happens but I got 2-foot sides and all it did was dent that a little and the wb was fine... IF the wreck is hard enough to send the machine flying, it's likely hard enough to break the straps as well, just my attitude.
  3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i got hit this season to by a lady that was older than dirt and on her way to theropy. she went right through a red light and slamed ointo the side of my trailer and tore the axle out. my equipment was fine, but the trailer totaled. her ins. company was allstate and they told me they were paying for my totaled trailer. it was worth $1100.00 6 1/2 by 12. they told me it was worth $400.00 after telling the ins. guy that he was full of s&^t and a few more names i got the number to the dealers that told him what it was worth. they told me they (there were 2 dealers) allstate said it was a 4 by 6 trailer, but in the report they sent me it was stated as what it really was. after they knew what the trailer was, they told allstate it was worth 1000.00. i really think the insurance company was out to rip me off.. insurance companys should also get in trouble for fraud and trying to do that..
  4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Bummer, but I have to tell you, I've never (not once) transported my equipment without strapping them down.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Laws says secure load and thats not just setting the brakes. If a wreck will break the straps use bigger/stronger straps or more of them. Or use a set of pro lockers. No excuse ever for endangering the public to save a few min. time or the inconveince of secureing a load to only go a block