1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

accidental lowballing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sure cut, May 9, 2008.

1. sure cut

sure cut LawnSite Member

just made my first bid for a regular customer, i walked around having a look at the lawn and gave the guy a price, only thing is as soon as the words came out of my mouth i realised i think i have well undercharged. i dont wont to lose the guy as he's my first customer, just want to avoid doing the same again, do you guys have a system for pricing, i.e. so much per square meter or something like that?

2. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

HOURS go by hours dude How long will it take to do that lawn from start to finish Make a set rate for yourself ie. $60.00 an Hour it take you 30 min to do the lawn $30.00 for the completed lawn cut there is not a total of square feet in and day is there? NO there is a total of Hours in a day! Remember that
  3. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

^^^^ IT TOTALLY AGREE ^^^^^
    Figure out what you "need" to charge per hour and get a better fix on how long a lawn will take you.
    If you really can and the owner had someone else cutting it... try to get that price and go from there.
    BUT you still need to figure out what you want per hour.. you gotta pay your bills.

Good luck
  4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Keep in mind when pricing by the hour, the cost per hour goes up when you get faster equipment or a helper.

I try for $1.20 per minute Solo, $2.00 per minute with a helper. I am not big enough to need a 3 man crew, but when I am, I will be trying to get $2.80 per hour. (Figuring this years pricing)
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Business managment......

Eating crow gets old...............BELIVE ME....
  6. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

We do the same thing, charge per hour. Figure out what you want to charge per hour for regular cutting, trimming, blowing and go from there. Anything else is extra (tons of shrubbery, edging, moving A LOT of toys around, etc.) keep your eyes open when doing the original estimate.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I love the title of your thread :laugh:

How I work it out is I usually go ahead and do it.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I think you mean $ 2.80 per minute !!
  9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes! $2.80 per minute.

BTW, I am skeptical on if $2.80 per minute is possible with 3 guys. They may not be that efficient. If it turns out to be that way, I will start a second 2 man crew.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Working with my b-law, we figured that with a third person you only gain maybe 2 minutes over a 40 minute lawn. Stick with two as it seems more efficient.

We did square footage of a lawn, only because we could mow a yard in 15 minutes compard to most guys doing the same lawn in 40.

Dixie Choppers, and string trimmers with no guards made up for lost time.