Accidentally scored a big job!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 15, 2006.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

and i'm not sure if i'm excited or depressed LOL.... ok as some of ya'll know this year I was going to keep it small and work part time at Advance Auto Parts where I'm currently employed (winter boredom, no snow here) so probably was plannin to put in like 30 hrs a week or so there and then do my lawns by myself. Well anyway so a couple days ago I got a call to go look at a 5 1/2 acre job... I'm like cool, 5 easy acres sounds great, they give me the address, it is a commercial site part of a military camp near here actually its probably 15 miles away or maybe more like 20 actually. Anyway so I go to look at it... holy cow gobs of chainlink fence, a very large building, a large shop building, several "house trailer type mobile offices" with that stupid sheet metal skirting around them (yuck) did I mention lots of chainlink fencing? Wow alot of it! So, I call them back yesterday with a price and I thought they were pricing around cuz a buddy of mine got a call from them too in fact we looked at it together... anyway so I didn't want the job very badly really due to lack of manpower, it was better suited to his business. Well somehow I got the job anyway I guess I was the quickest to get the bid in... so crap LOL...

Anyway I think my buddy figured it would take his crew of 3 at least a few hours to do which sounds about right... So I guess I'll have to get my friend to help me with it and we tackle it and try to get it done in half a day if we bust tail. I'm thinkin they'll be fine with me round-upping most of that fence line and that would save hours of labor... definately going to do that. if they say anything about it (very doubtful) haha too late! lol....

Maybe I will be able to get out of the parts store more than I thought :weightlifter:

You don't hear me complaining LOL...

What have I gotten into :hammerhead: :usflag:

2. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Good job Eric! Go get'em. Bang 'em out and get some $

Tim:cool2:

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Eric, if they're not happy with the round-up you may want to consider a growth inhibitor. You would need to reapply it every 3 to 4 weeks but could spray a wider swath; thus, eliminating the need to get the mower close to the fence which would slow you down.

I just knew you wouldn't be able to stay away from this business.:laugh: It's in your blood now.:drinkup:

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky! You could see if your buddy wants to sub it out from you...Regardless congrats are in order!

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was thinking....Welcome Back.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

There's no point in subbing it, I knew what he was going to bid, I wouldn't make any money.... I think I'll just get my friend to help me with it and we'll do it. Or I have another friend in the biz that would help me on just that one job too if need be (just now thought of that) we could split the money...

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh and thanks for the welcome :p

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Everything happens for a reason, I think that you getting this job should tell you something, this is what you should do FOR NOW ANYWAY.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with it and watch for hidden obstacles in the grass!Also fiqure two 1/2 days or one whole day..just cuz

10. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

you better make sure you are serious about your business this time and not going back and forth about selling out, and that you have the manpower to get the job done on time