Lawn Care Forum banner

Acclaim or MSMA?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  James Cormier 
#1 ·
Who uses both of these? And what is the biggest difference between the two? Would love some feed back on the two products! I have always used MSMA, but I always get that burn spot! Does Aclaim do this? What is the cost difference as well?

Any info and feed back would be helpful!

Thanks,

Archie

#2 ·
I used Acclaim for a few years a while ago, and it worked pretty good and nothing burned while I was using it.

A few lawns got burned spots while I was using MSMA. Now that run a perma green,I won't using it again.

Have you considered Drive 75? It works great, and it also controls other weeds like dandelions.

#3 ·
Barefoot I have a Perma Green as well. But, I still spot spray crabgrass. I have used MSMA in Perma Green with great results! We have all bermuda down here. Did you use Acclaim in your PG unit or spot spray? Also, how is the pricing on Acclaim verses MSMA or Drive?

Thanks for the info!

Archie

#4 ·
"I have used MSMA in Perma Green with great results! We have all bermuda down here."

I operate in Michigan and most lawns are Bluegrass/Ryegrass mix. I picked up the PG this year, and up until then I was spraying by hand with a boom sprayer. When I used the MSMA before (Trimec Plus), I had problems in the area's where there was a little overlap between passes, and the air temp was over 80 degree's.

It isn't worth it to me to burn grass so I switched to Drive last year.

"Did you use Acclaim in your PG unit or spot spray?"

When I was using Acclaim in the past, I was spot spraying using a hand can. This is now the way I apply Drive.

"Also, how is the pricing on Acclaim verses MSMA or Drive?"

I have not priced out Acclaim or Drive this year, I don't remember what I paid last year. I can get Trimec Plus (2,4-D, MCPP, Dicamba, MSMA) for $87.00 for 2.5 gallons, at 3.0 oz. 1000/ft^2 that breaks down to about $.90 1000/ft^2.

Also, I am a stickler for only using products that are labeled for the ultra low volume rate the PG sprays, and I doubt that any MSMA product is labeled for it.

I have not decided if I am going to try to spray a crabgrass control trough my perma green.

Perhaps some email to PBI gordon is in order so they will invent one that works with the PG and will control crabgrass.

#5 ·
I was poking around the PBI gordon website and when I was using their product adviser section,

http://www.weedalert.com/cgi-bin/recs_view.cgi?weed=19

one of the products they recommended is something called "Blade".

Although the label doesn't list crabgrass as a weed controlled by this product, it sounds like something you may want to hear about anyway, being in the south and all.

Anyone have any experience with this "Blade", does it work on Crabgrass?

#6 ·
Barefoot

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Trimec Plus, I am not for sure on the Blade product but I will ask my sales rep. I have had good results with my PG unit using MSMA on new lawns that have never had lawn service. So the burn doesn't really show like a clean lawn does. I put 16 oz of MSMA into 8 gallons of water. Use the nozzles on top and ride in low gear.

Back to Acclaim, do you know if it burns bermuda? What about adding a surfactant?

Thanks for the info!

Archie

#9 ·
Arch, Yeh I forget alot that we all live in different areas with different grass types.

Ive never burned a lawn with acclaim, either out of my hand can or PG.

I havent sprayed MSMA in at least 10 years, but I use to burn lawns all the times with it. To me the extra expense of acclaim is well worth it.

Is there anyone that sprayes Drive out of there PG? I believe it only comes in a WP, or a G. How well does that mix in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.