accomplishing a tight flagstone walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JasonPC, Sep 10, 2003.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Ok, so I give up. I do lots of paver walkways & patios and am newer at flagstone. I did a flag walk but I couldn't get the pieces all that tight even using my large diamond saw. How do you guys get it so your walkways almost look like a jigsaw puzzle they're so tight? Help! Thanks...

Jay

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just dig down about 3-4 inches lay about a inch of all purpose sand down and put the stone in using the ground around to keep them tight.

3. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

That's not quite what I meant. But of course thank you for the reply. The walkway is rock solid. What I mean is, I'm having trouble getting it so that the flagstones don't look like they have any space between them.

Jay

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Use large pieces of stone. Lay them down and break them with a sledge. Then separate the pieces just a little.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a stone that fits close to the space that you want to fill. Overlap the new piece and mark the stone that is already laid. Cut that stone, then fit in the new piece. ... just one way, it might work for you, it did for me.

6. capital

capital LawnSite Member

we do flagstone patios cut to fit. As AGLA said we actually find large sections then begin marking them for every cut. IE every side of the flag stone is cut using a chop saw. If the flagston has three sides it is cut three times. If more than three sides each angle is marked an cut. After we are done with the patio the clients are amassed that the cuts are actually smaller in width than a concrete side walk opening.

7. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Like this ? Just fit it together kie a puzzle , sweep in stone dust in the cracks

dsc00499.jpg

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Nice one Lawn Tek. That looks like that house was build ON a quary.

I agree for a natural look it IS a puzzle. I've gone through a whole stack looking for the right fit. I also lay them all out if possible. The nice fit is not a quick job. Cutting sure is quicker but with hard straight edges....

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawntek that looks great. very nice work. I did a walk last year sorta like that. Got the rocks out of creekbeds.