Account Closed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Nov 23, 2003.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have done a search on this and have had little help so far.
    I have a older lady that was in not so good health last I knew. Any ways one of my best customers IE. paid on time, no complaints, always wanted extras, and complimented on the work done.
    Well just received a check back from the bank that the account was closed. I have tried calling her house with no answer at all. I sent a letter with no response as of yet.
    I cashed the check on the day I received it which was 4 days after check was written.
    Bank won't tell me when the account was closed so I have no way of telling if it was closed prior to when it was written (legal actions) or if she passed away and family closed it unknowing that she still had checks out.
    My question is have any of you had this problem and if so what actions did you take to get paid?
    I might have to eat it but would like to try to get it since I did a big clean up and trimmings on this particular bill that added up to quite a sum.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Have you stopped by the house?
    Perhaps she changed banks and wrote out a check from the old bank, by mistake.

Or, perhaps, if she has passed ( I hope not!) her family may have sent you the check (found a bill) intending to pay you for services....... Account will have been frozen as soon as the bank learned of her demise, so this may just be due to confusion on the part of her family, you gotta understand that.
    How much are we talking about here anyway?

3. sildoc

I have stoped by and left a note to call. total is 680 for the month of Oct. The check was signed by her and it is checks that she always uses. I am guessing it was probably closed due to her passing away.
    Bigest problem I have is trying to get in touch with her family since they are all out of town.
    I will keep calling in hope that some one picks up and will send a few follow up letters.
    Just hoped someone had a similar incident and had info on how to get paid.
    It all works out eventually.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

The bank should be able to give you some info.

5. sildoc

Bank was no help what soever. They could not give date when account closed, name on account, or if they would do anything about someone writing bad checks with their checks. The only thing they told me was to go to the police station and fill out a bad check report and they would handle it. Don't want to go that way quite yet since she was a very good customer and I think it was just a mistake.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Try sending another invoice with the notation on the envelope "ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED". If it is returned you may have a good lead to go on. I've gotten forwarding info, this way.

Good Luck....

7. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Check the obits in your local paper to see if she did pass away. then contact the funeral home and get the contact numbers of her relatives.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

if all else fails put a lien on the property

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

CHECK THE NEWSPAPERS!!! They will have an ad in the classified section somewhere stating who the executor of the estate is and calling for all claims against the estate. If it has been a few days go to your local paper and ask to see past issues. THIS WILL BE YOUR ONLY CHANCE.

10. bilbo7021

bilbo7021 LawnSite Member

This I've been through. Like two others have mentioned.....check the obits and the classifieds. If there's nothing there, check with the neighbors. Also, if you explain it properly, the Post Office can sometimes tell you if mail has been forwarded or stopped; if it has, then the family has taken over the estate for sure.