account purchase advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jake65, Aug 14, 2006.

1. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

I had or still have an opportunity to purchase 20 lawn which generates
    640\wk - 15000\yr. He told me he spoke to other companies that told him he should sell the lawn accounts for a 1\3 of the annual income it generates - which would be $5000. Does that seem high for 20 lawns that are not guarenteed to be mine next spring- even if they were this seems to be high. Any thoughts on this and how would you place an offer?

Thanks
    Jake

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds high to me as well. I recently bought some accounts and and paid 2X or 3X what ever they made per cut.

3. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

thats what i paid for the ones i bought this year too

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure pay him that.....in the spring and use the number of actuall renewals, if they want, pay 1/3 of the income you recieve on the accounts the rest of this year and use it toward the next year figure.

There is no sense in paying basically 100% of this years revenue (1/3 of the season left) then risking losing them all to misworded contract and the guy signs them back next season :0

5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you agree on for a price, negotiate in a deal to not pay for the ones you lose through no fault of your own. Everytime this happens there will be losses that are nobody's fault, people that just say "hey, i think i will get my mower running again".. that type of thing. I DO NOT mean people that you piss off by not showing up the first 3 weeks.

6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I would not pay for any residential accounts. You could easily pick up 20 resi's in the Spring with a $100 newspaper ad.

7. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

On top of that, it is a 30 min drive to the location of all these lawns. Not that I couldn't make 1 route out of these, My money might be better spent on advertisement and pavement pounding in the late winter and early spring

jake