1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

account seeking?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Dec 5, 2000.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I hear commercial accounts are put up for bid in like sept and oct., but do you guys still try to get these all the way up till spring, or do most people have there cutters in line before then? Residential accounts do you guys go after them in winter or wait till spring? Thanks in advance and i did do a search!!
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Going after accounts is a 12 month job. If you can get an account, get it. Doesn't matter when. Look at new construction, new owners of existing buildings or residential houses etc. I don't have time to talk to all of my customers or new contacts in the traditional spring and fall times you mention (my busy seasons) so I'm working them all the time.
  3. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will be concentrating on advertising/obtaining new residential contracts beginning in late January right through the spring in spurts with my biggest push in late Feb-mid March (SERN VA). I am waiting through the holiday period now, but I intend to push at least 10 months of the year. Good Luck
  4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Advertising your business is a year round job. We put the heavy push for residentials in March, but commercials are always looking for people. Whether it is because they don't like their current or it's a new construction. The only ones I try to stay away from are the price shoppers, mainly because they will shop every year and we like to have long term clients.