Accountant prices

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 3, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I met with the accountant yesterday. She is going to charge me $300 for the LLC taxes and $125 for the personal taxes.

I have always done my own personal taxes with TaxCut in the past. It's a $10 program.

For personal, in finding all the numbers to plug in, like capital gains, child care tax ID numbers, etc., I feel like I'll still be doing my own taxes. Entering the numbers into my PC is acutally easier than getting those numbers to the accountant.

Is this a fair price for tax preparation?

Has anyone used the TaxCut for business software package? Feedback please.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

The LLC return price sounds about right. I would suggest Turbo Tax deluxe $39.99 for you personal taxes. Great software that "asks" all the right questions to maximize you tax savings. You also receive the state software free if needed and a coupon for a free electronic filing. I'm not a software salesman just use it for my personal return and its good.

Trust me very few individual tax returns require $125.00 worth of work with todays software. This coming from a former tax manager of an accounting firm.

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

$175.00 for my tax attorney.
  4. Aproct

Aproct LawnSite Member

The rate is probable being built off of the releationship with your business. Just remember, that accountant has overhead too. It is a bit high, but that seems to be the going rate for 1040 prep in my area. Believe me, I knwo because I am a tax accountant for a very, very, very large public accounting firm. Your post is exactly why I do not do personal taxes, but instead have a lawn business. People just don't want to pay me for doing taxes any more.

I make more green cutting the green!!!:)
  5. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

Those prices are in line with other firms. You can probably do the returns yourself....even if by hand to save money, but one thing you need to consider is if you know all the new tax laws and changes that could possible relieve some of your tax burden. Just be careful...if you feel comfortable doing your returns then go for it...just keep up to date on the new tax law changes (depreciation allowances, self employed insurance premiums, etc.)
  6. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

7. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

i got charged 325 and i am sole proprietor and he charged me 45 to do my fiance's personal taxes.
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

$198.00 for mine If I didnt have them done they wouldnt get done.
  9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

we used H&R block online filing. Has 3 different levels you can choose, but with the copmany being the size it is, it was very simple, just fill in the amounts, and it is done. Cost us $40 for both federal and state. Filed using the Scedule C for the business. Program is worht looking at seeing the cost savings. Good records make this time go a lot easier.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my accountant only charges me $80