Accounting and Payroll Software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sgl41377, Jul 24, 2006.

1. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

Been around for 3 years and am looking forward to '07. I need some accounting and payroll software to make it easier to pay my employees with taxes taken out and filed with the IRS. Please recommend programs that do this for me. Thanks.

2. IML8RU2

IML8RU2 LawnSite Member
    from BC

Try Quickbooks. It is easy to use. It has a payroll function, but you have to pay to use it. If you turn the payroll option to "Payroll Reports Only" and go to the help menu and look up "doing payroll manually" it's a very easy set up to do your payroll and it's free.

3. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

I thought of getting quickbooks and went to staples to purchase them, from what the clerk told me, i would have to get quickbooks pro, and the extra payroll program.....total was around $800.......than she told me it also cost extra fees to actually be able to pay and file with the irs thru quickbooks....I hired ABCpayroll...i believe they have locations around the country....anyway it costs me 22.50 a week, plus 1.50 per check they cut......but they do everything, take out each employee and my employer part of taxes and file them when needed....also the checks are delivered to my door the night before payday...they send you weekly, monthly, and quarterly report....so my wife only worries about monthly sales tax and at the end of the year everything have to do with payroll is done....also Hartford Insurance deducts workman's comp weekly according to the exact dollar of payroll so there is no need to worry about insurance auditing at end of year..........may be worth it to some.......we found it so easy and took alot of stress off of us....we have the option of submitting hours online or by phone..............

4. IML8RU2

IML8RU2 LawnSite Member
    from BC

I'm a bookkeeper. Frankly, who ever you spoke to regarding Quickbooks didn't know what they were talking about.

You only need the basic Quickbooks. They have discontinued the Basic Edition, so now I believe Quickbooks Pro is the new "basic". It should cost around the $200 mark. If you have a membership to Costco they often carry it for a very good price.

As I mentioned in my first post. Yes, you can purchase the payroll option, but there is a function in there to do it manually also.

Depends on what you're looking for exactly. Just payroll - you may want another option. However, for bookkeeping it can't be beat. It's the most user-friendly program out there, against other types like Simply Accounting (which is anything but "Simple")

5. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

I dealt with a young girl in Staples, the pricing was in front of me.looking back at my notes, she recommended quickbooks premier edition,$399.95, the assisted payroll program which i did not write down the cost of but the monthly is 59.95 to be able to file your taxes online..........when she started showing me all the forms, checks and what not i would have to buy, i was like, forget it easier for me to use payroll service........i do think that i did not need the actual premiere edition, but rather the quickbooks basic or pro which was 199.00, but she told me in order to utilize the payroll i would have to get the more expensive program.......

6. IML8RU2

IML8RU2 LawnSite Member
    from BC

Okay, that makes more sense. :)

Honestly though, what you need to do is sit down and write out exactly what functions you are looking for, then match it to a program. If you want something that is eventually going to be able to track Estimates and Clients for you, QB is not the best long-term answer. That being said, most Lawncare software integrates really well with QB.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

No .... simply not true .... you can pick up a new copy of QB Pro on eBay fore less than $200 ....n that's ALL you need ....you can get some QB checks & depoists from any printing company

Set up to download any tax table updates auto or every 45 days

Set up the employee info ... n your off to go ....

You'll still have to submit your 941 depoist everymonth by the 15th (payroll taxes) at your bank ...n your 940's every quarter ....any book keeper or CPA can do this fore you

8. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

thanks guys for the suggestions re;QB........for the last 3 yrs i have been using My Deluxe Invoices and Estimate program, made by Ellibrium, that i bought in Staples for 39.95......we use it to bill out all customers monthly, estimates can later be converted to invoices when customer agrees, keeps track of product lists, customer register (payments), keeps track of all sales tax billed so that each month i only have to go in to see exactly how much in sales tax i have to pay....also gives me weekly, monthly, quarterly, year-to date or custom reports....real simple to use........than we use the payroll service for payroll, and like i said everything is done for me, all taxes due taken out weekly and 941 and 940 paid for me without me having to even think about it..........worth the 22.50 a week for me, anyway.......

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand the Payroll service's from other's perspectives ....but fore me they just cost too much .... the monthly fee is resonable ... but what is the cost per hour

Everytime they call me I tell em ...if you can beat $14 per hour give me a call .... this is my total cost with hourly pay, taxes & W/C ..... this is an average of all my guys .....most make $9-10 per hour

Granted hourly rates are gonna vary per state

10. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

for me it is not so much the cost, i like the convienance and simplicity of using the payroll service, what might take them 1/2hr would probably take me 2-3times as long, plus gives me too much too think about(taxes) when i could put that time to better use...ex: working on my machines, working a longer day, spending time with my family, scoping out new work.......