accounts are dropping like flies...or should i say rocks!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Apr 9, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

my list is full of names with lines through them.

talked to a guy at the bank i cut last year. going with someone else this year. i was at $70 someone bid at $45, and one at $55. it's about a $45-60 min job. they were very happy with my work but thought they would try out this guy.

other people sold/moved. couple people fired up the old mower in the shed and are doing their own. a couple are like....oh i'm not sure(in a not very good tone)

a guy that does some spraying for me said he is loosing lots of accounts too. not as bad as i'm seeing though.

i'm down about 30-40% with only 1 potential new customer so far.

i put out flyers last week and got a couple calls but no mowing estimates. just people wanting dethatching. 1 has a fence which i can't get into. the other i think thought my price was too high(tire kicker kinda guy)
  2. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

thats lawn care for you keep advirtising
  3. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I really think it will get worse before it gets better, the economy is tanking, fuel, etc. etc. fertilizer is up 20-30% depending on when or where or what day you buy it....I don't know what is going to happen!!
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i guess i wasn't expecting it to be this bad :(
  5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Drive by the job and see if the guy still has his Florida license plate on.:laugh:
  6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost a couple of yards this year also, for various reasons. I gained 4 accounts so far, some 30$ weekly mow and blows and I am still awaiting word on a larger property I bid on. I was going to buy a used Husky ZT last week at a rock bottom price, but I declined. I will not be purchasing anymore equipment until I see how this year shakes out.
  7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Same here Like bigclawn said time to get lean and mean Not buy much of anything new this year Lost 7 accounts from last yr some sold and moved and lost 2 big comm to a new start up weekend warrior than underbid me bigtime .Have only signed one new one and that one is going to be interesting to say the least . Dont have a good feel about this one might be a royal PITA .Is a prof at the local university and she speaks very very broken english and acts like she dont understand what you are trying to explain to her .Made her sign on the dotted line which didnt please her she had to sign for lawn care , told her no sign on the line me not do lol
  8. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

keep advirtising
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. But it happens to me every year. I lost 5 due to moves, etc. Picked up one so far. But every year I pick up 15, and lose maybe 5.

The more accounts you have, the more you lose at renewal time. If you have 10 accounts, and lose 10% it's no big deal. But 10% of 40 is a real drag.
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I here huh. Can't say were losing that much but not gaining any. Those that come out of the woodwork to low ball to the point of no return should be shot!

Advertising takes money and I don't always think the return is that great. If you still have time - as in weather permitting - go out knocking on doors. I am in a winter storm warning and calling for 4-8 inches of snow b/t thursday nite and friday so I will be visiting a few potential clients myself!

Good luck though!