Accounts for next season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wagner17, Sep 30, 2004.

1. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

Just wanted to know when is the best time to solicit business for new accounts for the next year. I will be starting out next spring and have about 10 customers already, but want to know when I should put bids in on new customers - now or in the late winter/early spring. My goal is to get and maintain close to 40 residential accounts by the end of next year.

Thanks,

Steve Wagner
    Wagner's Lawn Care

2. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

Steve,

First off, I too am a newbie. I just registered my business name last week. Acquired D&B & CCR registry on Monday. Closed my first two (Federal) deals this week (as the Fed contracts are from 10/1-9/30 annually.)

So based on this and to stay ahead of the competition, there's no better time then the present to start marketing. Remember, most companies budget their resources and fiscal budgets are usually Jan-Dec. Therefore, you want to make sure they budget your service into their 2005 figures.

Funny thing is just got of the phone with a friend that's in the business whom I'm soliciting for info, and found out he's gonna be a useless ally in this business as he's got scrub pricing (thinks his time is valued at $25/hr.) where I value mine at just above twice what he does.

IMO the best thing to do is create a plan, work the plan and never stop learning or improving your plan. Business, is dog eat dog! Now just who's the biggest dog?

tj

3. Aproct

Aproct LawnSite Member

Now! I have already started solicting commerical accounts and have signed contracts for next year!!!It is never to early to start!

4. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

Well, now I know what I will be doing this weekend!

5. billc

billc LawnSite Member

I'm at the end of my first season.

My first marketing was in late winter - 500 postcards sent out. I got zero replies. I think I sent them out a bit early - people weren't yet thinking about mowing.

My most successful method has been door-hangers, referrals and then the postcards. However, I've received calls from the postcards several weeks after sending them, so they have some staying power.

Next season, I have particular neighborhoods I'm targeting. For these I'll use a door hanger (a plastic bag) and put in it some marketing material as well as a magnetized business card (my wife says that no one has enough refrigerator magnets!) The card goes on the fridge so they'll have a reminder when they're ready to call an lco.

6. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Never stop looking for clients, prospects, anything. That's how you will grow. I think the best advertisement you can have is referrals. This to is my first year on my own and I have 13 regular contracts. I am waiting for the bids to open on the commercial clients soon. Looking forward to going full-time next season. As far as residentials, I believe that you can try to hold on to the most that you can and put an ad in local papers in late Feb or early March. Thats when people start to think about the grass. Hope this helps some and I wish you the best of luck. Stay on LS and believe me you will get alot of help.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think its always a good time to line up work no matter what season it is .We went to pass out snowplow contracts on Saturday and got one maintenance for next year and maybe two just by talking to people and its 7 months away.

8. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

It's always a good time to get new accnounts. At this point in the season any accounts we pick up are just extra for this year and a jump start for next season. Obviously the spring is the time where you pick up the most. But we'll take them whenever they come along.

9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

How exactly do you do that? What I mean is, do you just walk into a business place and ask them if they want you to do the lawn or what?

10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I put a bid in today for the whole shooting match. Snow and landscaping. They Run their contracts from End of October on. Hopefully will get it. We will see.

JP