Accounts for sale in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SSS 18734, Jul 15, 2007.

1. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I am going to be a freshman at an out-of-state college this fall semester, so I obviously can't maintain my solo mowing operation any longer. Most of my accounts are $30 - $35 lawns ranging from 1/8 to 1/4 of an acre near the state line and I-435 highway. Although 4 of them are near I-435 and Switzer. I have 19 accounts for sale total and they gross about $650 a week.

I've heard the rule of thumb for selling accounts is to sell them for two cuts worth, so that is what my asking price will be. Keep in mind these are tight routes - many of these accounts are neighboring houses of two or three, and most of those groups are within a mile of each other.

Most of these clients are already billed monthly (no contract), but I doubt many of them would take much of a price increase. Most are weekly, although I switch some to a 10-day schedule in the summer heat. They would expect a reliable company to mow, trim, edge (with a trimmer is fine), and blow. I would say about 1/3 of them require a 34" mower for the backyards. PM me if you're interested.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think you may be lowballing yourself! A local LCO here is selling either "some or all" of his accounts and is asking a flat $1,000 EACH!!! These are standard nice homes, I assume in the $30 to $40 a week range. I about choked, and I know he will never get it, but I think getting only "2 cuts gross" is a little on the low side for yourself too.
  3. SSS 18734

Well then what is a reasonable asking price? I'm just trying to smoothly transition my clients over to another good service and make as much money for college as possible off of them.

$1000 is ridiculous... you would have to mow all season to make that money back on a $30 account.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

No contracts at all? You'll be lucky to even sell some of them regardless of price.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I was wanting to buy 10 or 15 from the guy Jason was talking about, till I found out they are $1000 each. I would buy accounts all day long for 2 weeks gross. I think you could probably even get 1 months gross pretty easy.
  6. badassgrass

badassgrass LawnSite Member

sss can you give me a call? I am interested in your accounts.
  7. SSS 18734

I will give you a call this weekend.

No, I do not have contracts for any of these yards - but most of my clients are nice people who won't just hop from service to service. I just want to transfer them over to another good, reliable service and make all the money I can for college.
  8. SSS 18734

oh I forgot to mention - I will be taking care of them until August 20th. So I will still be mowing them for a month before I will give them away.
  9. badassgrass

badassgrass LawnSite Member

sss: Look forward to the call. I was going to mention that you should keep them until you leave. What school? Hope MU!
    Don't worry about the contract stuff.
  10. E & J Pro Turf

E & J Pro Turf LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Give me a call if your interest in selling your accounts.

Would a 36 inch fit in some of theses back yards?