Accounts: How many, how fast?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Feb 2, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just setting myself some goals for this year, as far as getting new customers. I was wondering how many customers you guys got and in what period of time.

I guess a good format would be something like:

Fulltime or Part time?
    First year: xx total customers
    Second year: xx total customers
    etc....

My mid-term goal is to get 100 customers but that is a ways off for now.

In the meantime, how quickly did you guys grow? Exact numbers arent necessary if you wanna just give some estimates.

2. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

BGLC,
    I am from your area and started in January '06 with 28 accounts. Had 50+ by the end of that season and currently have 112.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

My first year I had approximately 55...my goal for next year is near 100.

4. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

This is my first year and I have 84 residential and 4 commercial. I am looking to tighten my route up this year. I am spread out right now (25 mile radius). I would like to have 100 total within a 10 mile radious. My goal is to have only weekly year round service. Right now I have 62 weekly residential, the other residentials are cut 1 X monthly and during the rainy months weekly.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There ain't no way unless I feel like lowballing, to me it's just not worth it by the time I give them their 40% off I might as well do it for free so I have 30 now and hope to get back up towards 40. But it all depends, if you're a mow-n-blo or more geared towards full service, too.

6. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

There is a way without lowballing. If you feel there is no way to get there then you are right, you won't reach your goals. Set your goal high and strive for it. I will get to my goal of 100 and some and I will tighten my route. I was told when I started by several folks, some in the business, that I was making a mistake, times are tough, why would you start a business now. Failure is not in my DNA, I don't think doom in gloom like alot of folks that I run into throughout the day. Businesss has been and will continue to be great. I follow this moto and has worked well for me throughout my life. Attitude(positive), approach (treat people with respect regardless of the situation) and apperance (squared away personal appearance and equipment) . If you go about your daily life following this along with prayer you will be sucessful in all you do. Just my .02

7. djoherl

djoherl LawnSite Member

Hey DAVIEINSWFL,
    I live in SW FL too. What type of marketing tactics did you use in order to gain so many accounts in such a short amount of time?

8. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

I started last season part time with 11 ended the season as my only income with 26 accounts. This summer my expectation is to at least double that number with slightly higher end clients with my goal to triple it to 75. I am in the horticulture department at my local community college and have met some really good contacts over the last year which I hope will result in more clients and $$. So far its all been word of mouth but in the next few weeks I plan on putting some pull tab fliers in some of the local coffee shops and post an ad or 2 in one of the local papers in my target market. Anyone got any succesful marketing methods?

9. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you doing to grow your busniess that quickly ? any specific advertising methods ?

10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all of your responses. Good to see that you guys are doing well.

Last year was my first year and it was full of mistakes.

From March to July I got 40 customers. We moved, straining our budget, and I'll be damned if my truck didn't break down on me after the move. I was stupid for not saving money back for repairs, so I had to drop those customers.

Got kinda down and out about the whole situation for awhile before I decided to suck it up and in September, started advertising again. I'd got 38 customers by the end of the year and I'm thinking about calling up all of my old customers to see if they would like to come back.

I guess it would be fair to say I would have ended up with 80 customers at the end of my first year, but I do pay $300 a month in online advertising.

I dont do flyers, door hangers, newspaper/phone book ads. Not sure how much that would compare to advertising online.

All winter I've been raring to go when spring comes around. I cant wait to work and break 100 customers! :weightlifter: