1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Feb 1, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

How are most Accountants bill? I need to find an accountant, I am not for sure how to look, or how to compare them really. I want once for throughout the year to periodically check my books over and keep me on track. I also want to ask them questions throughout the year.

What should I expect to pay for a good accountant, how should I go about finding a good accountant?
  2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way is through word of mouth. Do you have any friends in business? Ask them...
    Also, prices will be a wide range. When I tell people what I pay, they say I'm paying to much. When I find out who their accountant is, it normally turns out to be someone that does it on the side or not a top notch CPA. There's a reason good CPA's get top dollar- Just like a good attorney.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

K.Carothers gave a good response. I think that a good accountant and good attorney are worth their weight in gold. Many of good accountants also offer a book keeping service.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody use their accounting firm for bookkeeping services as Trinity mentions? If so, how do you work with them? How does the information flow, who is responsible for what (e.g. invoices, deposits, expense records, ...).

I'm considering trying such a service, but never have heard the details of how the relationship works. I have two firms who are interested.
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Using quickbooks to keep all of our business related finances in order has been sufficient for us. We take the backup disk to the CPA and he loads the data on his system at tax time. He is the one who recommended we use QB when we first met with him, I'm sure it was for ease of taking care of business at tax time, but its a good piece of software also. Trying Gopher now and it definitely has its merits also.

K.C. is right, you will get what you pay for with a CPA, go cheap and you will likely get cheap.