Accredited Programs in Landscape Architecture

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ztrguy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Anyone go to an accredited landscape architecture school? Where did you go? How long did it take to complete the degree? Any thoughts on the program? Thanks!

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It seems every state university and community collage has some sort of landscape or horticulture program. I have been thinking about something along those lines, would be a non traditional student. However it would require a move. I really don't want to leave the area, wife has a good job and I am getting the house the way I like it.

3. Pavers Plus

Pavers Plus LawnSite Member

attended West Virginia University and got my Bachelor of Science in L.A. I am now a licensed landscape architect in Maryland & Virginia.

Think long and hard about what you want your career to be, whether doing mostly design work or design/build. I've found that you are probably better off at a school with a horticulture/landscape design program than a traditional landscape architecture school if you want to persue a landscape/hardscape design build career. If you enjoy sitting at a desk all day doing design and cadd work, then get your landscape arch. degree.

By the way, watch my Mountaineers win the National Championship this year in football.....:drinkup:

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.asla.org/nonmembers/accredited_programs.cfm

You don't have to spend your life chained to a desk, if you have an LA degree. But, a lot of people do.

I agree that if you want to be a hands on landscaper, it is not the best avenue to take.

I got my degree at the University of Idaho at 35. I landscaped from a very young age with my family and as a landscape contractor before that. I do bigger more involved site planning that may or may not include landscaping. I also do elaborate residential landscape plans with custom swimming pools and the site engineering that goes with it. I make a good living and enjoy what I do.

I also manage landscape projects for some clients. I'll put the project out to bid, make recommendations for selecting the contractor, select materials at nurseries and supply yards, do site inspections, check off the work when it is satisfactory (releasing the money to the contractor), and seeing that the job comes out the way it was designed to. Sometimes that is billed hourly and sometimes as a percentage of the whole job. I'm not working for the contractor, but as the client's agent. There is good money, no employee hassles, and very little overhead. But, it takes working many years to gain experience and contacts in order to do it. You have to invest a lot of time up front and that often means lots of years drafting away at a cadd station or table.

It is just like paversplus said. Make sure you know what you want to do, then make sure that the schooling you get will bring you there.