Accurate spray pattern

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Elementary question - but I am a rookie at the application side of things so I am asking...

How do you guys 'see' where you have already applied herbicide (like 3 way) when spraying a lawn? I see Trugreen with their trucks and hoses and it looks like they are just randomly covering the lawn. I want more accuracy than that. Is there an organic 'tint' or something like that so you can see where in the heck you have already covered? Just curious.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Several things...1) often you can see where the grass is wet from your previous pass, 2) always overlap, 3) follow mowing patterns to see where you're at, or 4) look for your previous footprints, or 5) use "landmarks" like a tree, a fencepost, a dog turd, whatever -- in order to walk/spray in a straight line.

It's just like spray painting a car or anything else .......even coverage, but not too much.

Initial spray training: 1) String toilet paper along shrubs to see if you're getting overspray (it will show up quickly). 2) Put an aluminum can (Miller Lite works best:laugh:) on the lawn in front of you. Your spray should hit the can at least 3 times for good weed coverage. 3) Finally, the old "spray-on-the-concrete" is a no brainer.

It may look like TruGreen is just randomly spraying, but this can be deceiving.

My short answer. I know others have more advice. :usflag: Probably better than mine.

How do you guys 'see' where you have already applied herbicide (like 3 way) when spraying a lawn? I see Trugreen with their trucks and hoses and it looks like they are just randomly covering the lawn. I want more accuracy than that. Is there an organic 'tint' or something like that so you can see where in the heck you have already covered? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

3. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Most people use that Turf color additive, you just add some of the blue stuff to your mix so you can see where your applying it. I think its called Turf Tracker or something like that?

4. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

This is a good question.

I agree with most of what American said. Except the can thing. It should be Michelob golden light, and you don't need to hit it 3 times with a boom or TeeJet Turbo floods.

Most suppliers sell a die you can add to the tank. But you will look like a smurf when your done.

That random pattern you see from some Trugreen tech might be that person spot treating weeds with a double hose and dual trigger gun.

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

When I used to spray, I would pull the hose to the farthest point from the truck and start there. On my first pass, I would look at a reference point directly in front of me and keep my eyes moving from that point to the points I was trying to cover. After your first pass, stop and look back to where you had already sprayed and you'll see that your hose is in a straight line where your feet were walking. On the next pass, I'd spray either right to the hose or 12 inches away from the hose. On each subsequent pass, your hose should pretty much be in a straight line. Also, if the grass is growing good and your hose is a mess, you may see your footprints as well.

6. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

Practice, fill the tank with water and do your own lawn and your neighboors.

As stated above, the hose will follow the last 1/2 of your pass.

Pick a landmark(fence post, tree, window...) before you start walking and walk toward it. It also helps, to pick a landmark for your return pass before you start off (ie look behind you and pick a landmark for the next pass). After ~10 lawns, it becomes 2nd nature.

Pay attention to how you turn at the end of the pass, otherwise your hose will be in knots. If you turn to your left on the first pass, make sure you turn to your right the next time. At first you will be messing up the hose a lot since you are concentrating on where to walk.

Also, it is easier to see your tracks when the sun is lower in the morning or afternoon. (a nice heavy dew really helps!) Avoid high noon when practicing your technique.

Joe

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ON MY really big places i just stick some marking flags in the lawn
    any thing can be used for reference

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have been in the lawn health business for 5 years and never pulled a hose (Thank God), but that alwasy did worry me!

Getting an accurate spray pattern for weed control is important, but doesn't show up other then maybe a missed weed.

But when applying fert, that is what would concern me! That is one reason I never wanted to pull a hose, other then not wanting to walk lawns due to laziness :laugh:, and I don't like liquid fert at all.

Do you guys ever have any issues with application when using liquid fert?

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never had a problem with the application itself. My problem has always been getting slow release N and getting it at a reasonable price. UFLEXX has answered that for me.

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am right there with Ted. I used UMAXX last year when I dragged a hose and had no problem's at all.