Acetone-Worth Using as Gas additive

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

At the lawn repair shop today they suggested using small amounts of acetone in mower gas. The claim is that it aids combustion. Has anybody tried this and have any thought on whether it is cost effective.

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Don't recommend it. It will leave resdues.

3. Jim@MilkyWay

4. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Is this suppose to raise the octane rating of the fuel or what? If that is the case why not just use higher octane gas. How much were you suppose to put in the fuel, say a quart in (?) gas?

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The idea is to get all the fluid into combustion, apparently some of the gas don't burn in the chamber. They were talking about a few ounces in 5 gallon tanks, sorta like sea foam although this is apparently a little different?

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

They use a good bit of acetone in gasoline already.

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

didnt Mythbusters debunk this? i use Seafoam in gas, it seems to prevent it from going bad so quickly.

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Don't know about MythBusters, but that is a really bizarre site. 'Kinda reminds me of a site that us astro-geeks like to browse called "BadAstronomy.com".

9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful, Acetone is a very strong solvent and affects many plastics adversely. Thats why you do not see it sold in plastic containers.
    Jeff

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Sorry:)
    I did not even think to mention that point which is of _much_ more concern, than is residue. I do not know one way or the other, but it may have adverse effects on rubber components as well.