acidic iodized water for disease control?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by growingdeeprootsorganicly, Jul 24, 2008.

1. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i was watching you tube the other night and came across a vid from japan
    showing the use of iodized acidic water ph 2.5-3.5 i think used for foliar disease control. they used a machine to separated their water, one side acidic water the other alkaline water,

they used the alkaline for regular watering and the acidic for foliar disease control?

they say since the water is so acidic no bacteria or fungi could grow on leaf surface killing any disease present.:hammerhead:

my thought is that couldn't be good for the good guys present or desired ph levels for the plant it self?

anybody heard of this before?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I say... umm... BS.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

we have used a KEOGAN system for years and its a scam!!

"Ionized water" is nothing more than sales fiction; the term is meaningless to chemists.
    Most water that is fit for drinking is too unconductive to undergo significant electrolysis.
    Pure water can never be alkaline or acidic, nor can it be made so by electrolysis.
    Groundwaters containing metal ions such as calcium and magnesium can be rendered slightly alkaline by electrolysis, but after it hits the highly acidic gastric fluid in the stomach, its alkalinity is gone.
    The idea that one must consume alkaline water to neutralize the effects of acidic foods is ridiculous; we get rid of excess acid by exhaling carbon dioxide.
    The claims about the health benefits of drinking alkaline water are not supported by credible scientific evidence.
    There is nothing wrong with drinking slightly acidic waters such as rainwater. "Body pH" is a meaningless concept; different parts of the body (and even of individual cells) can have widely different pH values.
    If you really want to de-acidify your stomach (at the possible cost of interfering with protein digestion), why spend hundreds of dollars for an electrolysis device when you can take calcium-magnesium pills, Alka-Seltzer or Milk of Magnesia?
    Electrolysis devices are generally worthless for treating water for health enhancement, removal of common impurities, disinfection, and scale control.

the one good use it does have is a placebo

4. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

tg,
    I agree, just thought id throw it out there since i never heard of it before. the vid was like 25 years old or something

alkaline water for health is total bs.

what i thought was interesting was about the acidic water for foliar diseases
    but theirs no way something that acidic could be good for plants leaves.

thanks for the info

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

I do have a gently used one for sale LOLOLOL

6. JDUtah

from UT

Haha! electrolosis has its place.. but currently i have no use for it, sorry Tree. :( Someday though... maybe the Honda FCX Clarity will go mianstream. :clapping:

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Zinc and copper are also good bacteriacides, the only issue is who is going to populate the leaf next, it is usually the bad guys because they are the most opportunistic.

just like weeds, open spot in the soil, who get there first

8. JDUtah

from UT

Sooooooooo, you guys actually might be persuading me on this compost tea thing (perhaps even as a fertilizer)... details will follow with time.