ACORNS!!!! everywhere in the fall cleanup... any suggestions?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by TGK, Nov 8, 2006.

1. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Did a fall cleanup yesterday. The property has a couple of HUGE oak trees which are dropping acorns like mad. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE! It made the job twice as has and take twice as long. I cant have something stupid like this eat up my time. The client will think im really hitting them up on the bill.
    Still couldnt get those damn things up!
    I was thinking of getting a commerical lawn vac. Does anyone use one of these? any other suggestions?

Chris

2. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get the leaves up first and then rake the acorns, but this time of year they start to bury themselves, so they are hard to rake up. The best thing i suggest is to blow them into a pile.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I went through that yesterday too. I used my 13hp little wonder and blew them. When the pile got to much to blow we raked them up and kept on going. When it was all done my 2 1/2 hour cleanup was 4 hours and 17 trash barrel of acorns. I got a nice bruise on my shoulder from carrying the barrel to the truck and it looks like a hickey. My wife saw it and tried to give me crap about the monkey bite. Thats about all you can do. Get as many as you can this time and a little more at the final cleanup. Whatever is left I get up in the spring with the jrco detacher

4. fyshstykr

fyshstykr LawnSite Member
    from zone 99

Pitching wedge:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .... sorry I couldn't resist it.
    fysh.

5. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I also have two huge oaks in my own yard. The first two years I lived here I went nuts trying to clean them up. It was like walking on marbles. Ever since I have waited a bit longer and found that the deer and huge blue jays gobble them up in less than a week! I just did all my leaf clean up today and had nearly no acorns in the turf.

6. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

import a heard of squirrels......:laugh: :laugh:

7. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

as for a walk behind yard vac. i have one sitting on a skid in my shop on the top shelf, it's been there since i bought it. jams when used for leaves, acorns just makes alot of noise and still have an empty bag.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what dont bury themselves (which they are meant to do) the vegetarians will eat up or store for winter

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Have a BG push model 5.5 Briggs I think. It will get acorns off drives and walks but that is about all it is good for.

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I had that problem on one cleanup. I just used my bp blower to get them into a pile. Then I used a rake and shovel to put them in my 60 gallon green barrel.