Acorns falling

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Was curious to know if the Acorns are falling in other parts of the country. They are all over the place here, but they are tiny. I don't think I have ever seen them fall this early, especially this small. It is not dry here by any means. There are also thousands of red Spiders. Don't know what they are called, but they are red and make the big webs and wrap up their catch. I have never seen so many. Are we setting up for a cold snowy winter??

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Acorns are falling a little bit here. Not a lot but they are starting early this year. Or so it seema

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very likely. That's a good Fl indicator along with early populations of robins.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The drought from last year supposedly stresses the trees and their next reproductive cycle goes bonkers...

There is a lot of evidence that 'stress' increases fruit production in trees such as apple trees actually having a tree shaker...
    My guess is that many acorns matured early just in case the long term affects of the drought means a dying tree now... We have these same tiny acorns here in Wisco... Just noticed them on the asphalt yesterday...

5. turfmd101

Sounds like you speak of intelligence and thought processes.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Lots of acorns here as well, hopefully this current weather pattern continues till winter as this summer has been great. 85 degrees at the end of July is awesome.

7. fyshman69

fyshman69 LawnSite Member

Small acorns are falling in the mountains of SW PA.

8. turfmd101

I know this thread is old but the last sentence in this post is answered.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

How about it huh? I had a feeling that the environment was off a bit when things were happening out of the norm. I have never seen so much so snow here. We just got 9" on Monday, considering we usually average 2" a year. This was the coldest winter we had in 30 years I would say. Still have had 60 degree days mixed in here and there, but just not a consistent pattern yet. Hopefully we are out of now as the trees a budding and the snow geese are flying back.

10. turfmd101

The robin's have left a few weeks ago letting me know winter is over. It doesn't mean we won't have a day or two with some winter like conditions but if it happens it won't be worth mentioning. Now you witnessed something in the environment that may be reoccurring someday and will know what is to follow. Also other things will be out of sink because of your record winter once it's gone. Keep an eye out. Mastering the environments sign language will put you in another league compared to your competition. Knowing what you're going to have to do before it occurs is much more efficient than reacting to what happens.
    Posted via Mobile Device