Acorns

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by steve45, Nov 8, 2005.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had a lot more rain this year than normal, so we have a bumper crop of acorns under our oak tree. Anybody have a good way to pick them up?

Thanks!

2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody makes a 5 or 9hp chipper vac these days, they really grind up that kind of debis with ease......now its a funky mulch for your beds.......CK e-bay for a used 1 if you dont want ta spend the $7-900 bucks for a new one:waving: payup

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Those vacs don't suck them up really at all, ive got the billy goat and it doesn't. I just rake them when i have to.

4. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

spring rake and a wide poly snow shovel?, I'd still prefer usein my 9hp cub leaf vac.:cool2: or blow them to kingdom come with our little wonder 11hp ground blower

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Sounds like a bunch of squirrels are in order. :)

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Go buy yourself a pull behind sweeper.Works great for acorns,walnuts,grass,leaves,etc.,,

7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies! We have some pecan trees, and they make a tool for picking up pecans. Acorns are smaller and the pecan pickers won't pick them up. I was hoping my new Scag with the grass catcher attachment would be able to suck them up, but it doesn't. I only have one oak tree, so I think I'll just rake them for now.

8. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax ebz 8000 is an awesome machine. it moves them like cotton balls

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, few deer a turkey and an 30.06:p

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

True.

I have a 48" Agri-Fab that I picked up at Home Cheepo to use in my yard. I does a great job at picking up acorns and hickory nuts. Just put it on the lowest setting. It's almost like dethatching....the anount of debris it picks up is amazing.