Acquired Accounts, need assistance on the transfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envision, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Envision

Envision LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out and would like to thank everyone for the quality posts I have seen over the past 6 months, it has been a great help to get my business off the ground.

I have acquired the names and numbers of 10 accounts and would like to know how you seasoned veterans handle this type of acquisition. Do you simply call them, introduce yourself, explain that you are taking over the account and would like to continue to service them? I assume I would make an appointment with them to look over their property, discuss the cost and then go from there. I want to make sure I keep these people as clients and not have them go elsewhere for service, at least if the price is right and the property is worthwhile.

The individual I received these from is getting out of the business and was nice enough to give them to me.

Any help is appreciated!!!

2. green boy

green boy LawnSite Member
    from texas

I wished I could get someone to give me the chance at 10 more properties. You have several different things that you can do. Call them like you said, seems a little impersonal. You could go by there yourself and introduce yourself, which would give the coustomer a chance to meet you because thats how most accounts are started. Or you could send them some info. in the mail which would explain all of your services to them.
    I think that talking to them would be your best bet tho. Good luck to ya which ever way you go.

3. danp

danp LawnSite Member

Envision,

I think your best route would be to ask the original service provider to make the intro to the property owner. If he is willing, this approach would allow a better transition.

D

4. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Since the guy was nice enough to give these new accounts to you, maybe he would be nice enough to go with you to each of the customers homes to introduce you. This way you can see the property and meet the new customer. The transition will be much smoother. Good luck.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been on both ends of this. I received a good number of lawns in the past and also gave away several in the past. Have the guy that normally did them call the customers and tell them your name and that you will be calling them with 2 days. Then call and intro yourself. Service those accounts timely and you will keep all or most of them. I had good results on both ends of this.

6. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

All you have is a name and number, that qualifies them as a lead. Pursue them as you would any prospect, bid them to make a profit. They ARE NOT you clients until you have a service agreement. What are you waiting for, them to call you? With Regards... devildog

7. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

This the best way to make the transfer. Sometimes, depending on the amount and quality of the jobs the owner/seller will stay active for a certain amount of time until the transition is made- billing, service, etc. Good Luck:)

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

When I moved otu of Mass, I gave my accounts to a guy, and i went to all the houses and introduced him to the customers. This was in late August, so he could cut them a few times, and decide whether he could keep the prices intact for the following year, and who he had to raise. He ended up keeping all but one, a PITA lawn anyhow.
    Crawdad

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

First, I send a letter of introduction. Then a follow-up phone call a couple of days later to make an appointment to meet with them personally.

10. Envision

Envision LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for the quick replies, I am going to contact the individual that gave me the lawns and see if he will do some intro work for me. If not, I will be calling, sending letters and doing everything I can to keep them from going to the next guy.

Thanks for everyones help!!