acre contracts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BLKSS, May 17, 2007.

1. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

driving down the road i always see 1 acre, 2.5 acre property signs for sale. is it possible that i could call the number on the sign and ask if anyone is interested in having the area mowed? whould this be a professional way to approach it?
    thanks
    all.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is possible.
    No, it would be soliciting.

3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You don't think its professional to call a place or stop by a place that needs to be cut?

So you drive by lets say a.....Vets Office....maybe a $75 mow. It looks like it hasnt been mowed in 2 weeks. Its unprofessional to stop in or call? I have landed 3 commercial accounts this year because I called a place that had not been mowed in a couple weeks.

Turned out they just fired the current LCO for overcharging them. One place was paying $100 for a 4'x15' section of grass (weeds) between the sidewalk and road to be cut weekly. Takes me 10 min and is on my route.

So to call or stop by can pay off its all how you approach them when you do call or stop by.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

got several this way.......

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Property for sale is a whole different thing. In most cases, they don't care...it just gets gets knocked down once or twice a year. For what someone can go in and brush-hog it for, you can't touch it for the wear and tear on your equipment (unless you do brush-hogging, too). I know guys around here do brush-hogging for 20 to 40 an acre. Do you really want to spend an hour and a half, putting your equipment through this for that much?

6. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

thanks yall, more is welcome

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea he's right..... most of the ones I have seen OUT OF TOWN get knocked down biMonthly or so.....
    But I have cut some that were in town

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I agree with Joe but sometimes you'll see houses for sale with nice turf that just needs to be cut.

I usually give the realtor a call and see if they need anything.

No, I don't consider it unprofessional at all. Solicitation is part of any business, and if you're not soliciting, you're not getting work.

9. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

True very True!

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

How do you MULTI QUOTE ?????????