acre pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Boycea, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

What would you charge roughly for mowing an acre of turf with minimal trimming? Thanks in advance for the help.

Adam

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Anywhere from $35 (bare minimum open lot) to $90 ( for heavily landscaped acre with hills, ect)

This is why you CAN'T price per acre. You HAVE to price by estimating total job hrs and then multiply by your targeted hourly rate.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think TLS has it covered.

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Yep that about says it all.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would have to agree also. Bidded on some soccer fields based on that bare minimum that TLS mentioned. I would feel more comfortable with saying $45 acre bare minimum though.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

$28 - $55 an acre depending on degree of difficulty back up north depending on locale was average in CNY.

7. mo4do

mo4do LawnSite Member

Walker, what part of the midwest are you from. This is my first season and have only landed residential accts so far so bidding bigger commercial accts are hard for me to judge. There is one park that is pretty open with some trees. Approx. 10 acres to mow. I would love to land something this big, but I am buying a new Exmark sometime after the first of the year. So I can't really judge how much ground I can cover per hr. Any more help would be appreciated.

8. I agree with TLS on pricing. So in your situation the park would be $350 to $900. Maybe give a small discount for volume mowing. If new equipment makes you a little faster, that's to your advantage.
    On a job of that size your time on the property could vary quite a bit thru the season. With heavy grass, double cuts or whatever your time could vary from a half a day to an entire day to get the job done right.

Calculating strictly by the time alloted for a particular job only works for the littler jobs. On larger jobs you have to calculate labor and different pieces of equipment separately.

Dave

9. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Ummmm,,, excuse me... 1/2 a day to mow & trim 10 acres ?? he says is wide open with a few trees. And what is all this chatter about getting $90 an acre....

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Down here most properties are small, i have no idea how long it takes to mow an acre, but i would guess it would be from a 1/2 hour to 11/2 hours, is that right?