1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

acreage mowing question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by little mike, Nov 14, 2005.

1. little mike

little mike LawnSite Member

My cousin recently bougth himself a tractor with a 6' shredder attachment to mow his 3 acres with.It's a Mahindra with 27hp diesel engine and 3sp tranny.It takes him two full days to mow this land.His land is flat with only a few ruts on it.I have no experience with any property that big,but I told him that ,that seems like an excessive amount of time for only 3 acres.But he say's no.That,that is normal.
  2. sounds like he needs just a little more horse power, I can see why it would take that long.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How long is he letting it go between cuts? If it's getting really bad, then yes it COULD take some time, I've had a 1/4 acre take me 2 hours before when the grass was up to my neck thou this was with the wb...
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I used to mow a 4.1 acre property with a 48" mower that would only take me at the most 2 hrs
  5. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

psh...i mow my own 3 acres with a 48" deck and it only takes me an hour and 45 minutes
  6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Show him 2nd and 3rd gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

he doesnt need more hp that doesnt make a diff. maybe a bigger trans
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what I was thinking. When I mowed the larger acerage I would mow full open

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Is his next door neighbor a good looking Gal. Maybe he leaves the house early on day one and does a stop over and than comes home late the next day.

Otherwise 2 hours, not 2 days
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

He's not talking about mowing, he's referring to brush hogging tall over grown fields. A 6' hog with a 27 hp tractor would be under powered. He's probably at 23 at the pto and has no choice but to mow in first gear. BUT even in first gear it would not take 2 days unless your talking about a hour 1 day and a couple hrs the next on a week end. 1st gear chopping tall thick weeds on 3 acres approximately 6 hrs.