Acreage Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dclark2037, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dclark2037

dclark2037 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Okay guys I need some serious responses from this one. I have been aproached about submitting a bid for a gov't contract on 88 acres. This is all manicured grass and 2/3rd is pretty open. The bid includes mulch, fert, pruning. I have a seperate guy coming on board who does all my fert and squirt. The question is how do I bid 88 acres. I will have to buy some new equipment for this but that is no big deal. So what do you guys think price wise. Oh and it is only 2 miles from the shop. I respect you guys answers so all will be appreciated.
    David

2. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

I can't help, but this is the place for you to find out! Good Luck!

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Site plan for the layout would be a good start. Had any experience on acreage mowing?

4. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

wow wish I could offer some advice but I have little experience with something this large! Best of luck in attaining this new account!

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I run as low as $15 an acre. My largest is 40 acres. I run toro 455-D mowers (WAMS) On a good day, one guy can turn that complex out in a day. A 40+ hp tractor with a tri deck can cover ground as well. I gotta go eat pizza so more later if no one else has touched on this issue in more depth.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Try to find out how many days the previous contractor took to mow it, and what equipment was used. you have left the bid requirements vague ie: insurance requirements costs, what equipment you will be purchasing( ZTR & rear discharge decks, WAM?) to even be able to maintain the 88 acres should you get the bid.

7. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

. . . and $25 to $30 with big Z's

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Is it just going to be you mowing or will you have a couple guys?

9. dclark2037

dclark2037 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I will be using myself and 3 crew members. I carry 1mill in insurance already. The contract doesn't specify insurance requirements. I will be sub for the Facility Maintenance and Operations Contractor. Have no experience with this kind of acreage. Don't know what kind of mower will be the best.

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

WAM start at $50,000, so i would not bid anything less than $75,000