Acreage!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Big Heath, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

Does anyone mow 5+ acres? If so how much do you normally charge in this situation. There is a good chance I will get the bid but I cant really say how long it will take me to do it. Therefore am unable to give an accurate bid. I just dont want to bid low and it end up taking me longer. I have a 48 Scag Z and I work alone!

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Multiply how long is takes you to do one acre time five minus a few minutes. It depends largely on the shape and obstacles and trimming involved.

3. Barony

Barony LawnSite Member

I would Charge atleast $60 an acre. at the most $80 depending on the obstacles. so about $360 to $480 for 5+ acres:)

4. Barony

Barony LawnSite Member

when you fine out how long it takes you to mow the 5+ acres then figure x amount of time for y amount of square feet/acre. Then adjust for things like, trees, ditches, terrain, etc.

5. landscaper5664

landscaper5664 LawnSite Member

Barony sounds about right. Probably $60-70/acre or so, with around 5-6 hours to cut. If there's trimming/blowing/edging, add your hourly rate for that based on the amount of time you think the detail work will take. I work alone too (for now, new biz myself), but I have some large acreage to cut as well. I just base it on manhours, so that way even if you bring on some help, they're paying for the time spent no matter how many people are on it. If you're comfortable enough with your hourly rate, you can negotiate to do the job for x amount per manhour until you know how long it'll take. That way, they're not paying too much for fluff in the quote and you know you're not gonna lose on it (takes the motivation out of getting it done quicker though).

6. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyones input. I have never cut that much at one time so I didn't even know how long it would take i just figured on 5 hours!

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A 48" will realistically cut about 1.5 -2 acres per hour thus making it 2.5-3.3 hours for cutting alone, so figure 3 hours to cut.

By the way, if you try to charge 360-480 for 5 acres you will most likely get laughed at.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We can mow 5 acres in less them a 1hr. But we are using a 60" and a 72". It's hard to say on pricing because in this area you can't even get $100 for 5 acres.

9. Barony

Barony LawnSite Member

Big Heath, if you really need the account, and you're thinking it would probably take you five hours to mow the 5+ acres then charge $45/hour, so $225 per cut add or minus depending on the obstacles, Timming etc.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a brand-new 48" at top speed can wipe out an acre in 40 minutes but I ain't never seen my proline 30197 do no 30-minute acre.

As for 5+ acres, what does this mean? Is it 8 acres, 10, 20, 50, what?

Because the larger the lot, the cheaper the $ / acre... Whereas a 1 acre lot goes for 60, 2 acres with me goes for 105 and 3 is 140 while 4 is 180, 5 would bring a chilly 210, and I ain't going no further until you find out how large this lot really is.

If you need a guide, try entering the customer's address and zip here http://www.zillow.com/