Acreage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

How do you guys figure out lawn size? Do you Guess, ask the owner, or measure it out for yourself? If you measure it out what are you using to measure it out. Thanks :waving:

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually just look at the lawn and decide how long it will take and price according. Most of our lawns that are near each other are close to the same size. We charge extra if they want if bagged, if the yard is hilly, and if there is a lot of edging and trimming. I would start with a minimum price and you can adjust your price from there. It take some time in the field to develop your own method pricing.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Measure using a wheel type measurer, Lowes, H Depot will have them, after a while you'lll eyeball it.

4. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

We also use the wheel method to measure. You start to get a pretty good eye for it after a few.

5. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

how many square feet in an acre??? and what is the typical price to mow exactly 1 acre with relatively no trees and little trimming and blowing???

6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

roughly 44,000 sq. ft. to an acre. I have one lawn that is exactly one acre, takes little over an hour, I charge $60

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

In my area they have property info posted on the web. It is on the county assessors site. Gives tax info, property value, dimensions, property lines, a topographical map and even an interactive aerial view. Still, most info is at least a year old so we still have to personally view the site to know if there are any new fences, flower beds or other new landscape features to consider. All in all it is still a very useful tool.

8. better choice lawn care

better choice lawn care LawnSite Member

captain green- a acre takes you a hour to mow? what kind of a equipment are you using?

9. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Eyeball it. Look at the amount of grass and how long you think it would take to mow it. Then factor in more time for hills or rough terrain that would slow you down. Then add for trees, trimming, edging, blowing, etc. I usually start with $30 on what i call a garden home. Those are the 1400 sq ft homes on a lot of about 1/4 to 1/2 acre then factor all the other stuff in.

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

rollatape to measure the lawn, edging, and trimming.