Acres per hour mowed, trimmed, edged, and blown off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScCo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to see what everyone else expects (or goes by) out of their workers when estimating the amount of time a property will take to mow, trim, edge, and blow off.

For simplicity sake, we'll say that each acre of property has 10 trees spread throughout, 1200 linear ft of edging standard sidewalk, driveway, and walkways to blow off. When I say an acre I do not mean an acre minus the house's area...I mean full turf area acres.

I generally figure around 1.5 acres per man hour for such a scenario, so I'm just curious as to what most of you figure for 1 guy to complete the job from start to finish. Seems like a pretty easy amount to do in that amount of time to me, so I'm kind of just wanting to see if I'm pretty close on what to expect from workers, or if I'm expecting more than you all would.

thanks for the space...curiosity has the better of me, so I wanted to see what everyone else figures.
  2. Geezer

Geezer LawnSite Member

what size mower are you going to use...w/b , ztr ..

In addition to the 1200 linear feet edging, how much line linear or square feet ???

Any beds to be edged?
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I mow a couple of lawns that are exactly 1 acre in size. They both have homes on them with plenty of trees, beds, etc. to mow and trim around. The homes are both 3,800 SF with a caged pool on each. I use a Hustler Z 52 to cut the lawns and I edge all the beds and paved areas on every visit.
    I can usually do each of them in about 50 minutes. This includes trimming and blowing off the paved areas.
    I work on the slow side (I'm 52) compared to most LCO's. I also pay close attention to details to make sure the quality is top drawer.

I don't know if this has helped any, but I think that a solo doing a similar 1 acre job should be able to finish in 45-50 minutes on average. If there were 2 people working the same job it should be finished in 25-30 minutes.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Dennis F.

I can do it a little faster. I am younger and have a 60" Gravely. But my average on 1 acre with a house, beds and the typical stuff is 40-50 minutes from gate down to gate up with edge and weed eat every time.

Obviously at peak season it is slower and in "dormant" season much quicker.
  5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

About 2 acres per hour if there's a lot of trimming. I averaged 24 man hours on a 48 acre school system. The wide open mowing on the ball fields etc is offset by trimming under the bleachers, along the chain link fences(no round-up allowed), push mowing batting cages. The schools are the hardest job I have had so far. Large commercials go quicker. Real nice residentials can take an hour to do a half acre.
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I usually just measure the full lot size and charge accordingly. Any buildings, driveways etc that means less mowing, means a bit more trimming. They usually average out. I have a formula that charges so much for the first acre - 35 -which is also a minimum charge unless it is just a 60x120 lot - 25
    then 20 per wide open acre after that. If all the acres require curb trimming etc, it is 35 per acre.
  7. LawnSite Senior Member

U charge $35 for full service on an acre?
  8. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

when figuring things for me personally doing the work I can figure closer to 2 acres per hour (60" super z for the mowing). My main question here is that expecting too much of other workers