acres per hour (ride-on sprayer/spreaders)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 8, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Figure .... 5.2 mph with a 12 foot effective spray/spread pattern while operating a "ride-on unit".

How many 'acres per hour' does this equal out to be?

rscvp, thanks :waving:

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Larry,

First there is no lawn where you can avg 5.2 mph....because remember you have to stop and fill and turn on the ends!

Depending on the lawn....I can usually get somewhere betweeh 2-3.5acres/hour. That does include filling, but not drive time.

I would say just guessing that nobody will avg over 3-3.5 mph once filling and turning is figured in...but that is just a wild guess! That is why I questioned Turfobob a while back about their bogus math on their literature! If you drive in a straight line and never slow down or fill then you can cover big acreage...but remember in the real world you have to slow down and fill! :)

What do you think?

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

If you could travel at 5.2 miles per hour for a straight hour.

(27456 feet per hour * 12 feet wide) = 329472 sq feet per hour.

329472 divided by 43560 = 7.56 acres per hour

Of course this is not even remotely possible but that should answer your question. :)

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

oh you two!!!!!

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Mow right is correct. 7.56 is the maximum possible. But that assumes you filled on the fly and never had to slow down for anything.

How many minutes does it take you to empty your hopper? How many sqft do you cover in that time?
    For me, 50 pounds in 8 minutes.

6. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

creech,

That is the numbers I usually get with my max.
    I have a 30 acre property, w/c only. I run at 5mph, would go faster but it is pretty rough. It takes about an hour to fill and spray 50 gal, 3.5 acres. As you are saying, sometimes it takes a little time to get back to the truck.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have to run my zsprays at 5.5 mph with 30 psi to get right on with app rates. sure does differ out there. most of you run 5mph on here i take it, but what psi are u using?

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks guys - now this is making sense. It's no wonder why we have treated 1700 K in one day with one machine. We fill liquid at nearly 8 gpm -- throw in 100 lbs of fert in the hopper while waiting for the tanks to fill = less than five minutes. BTW we use "quick couplers" to fill our tanks so we don't have to "babysit" while filling liquid.

I'll try to post picks soon of our "quick couplers". Sorry Mow Right - I'll take pics soon.

Okay -- our "quick fill" = installing a "tank bung" in the top of the tanks. 1/2, 5/8, one inch .. depending on what you want. Then add the quick-disconnect fittings. BTW you don't want to use a 90 degree fitting cuz product will leak out a little.

Just hoping folks don't think I'm smokin' crack, cuz I have now shown how things are possible if one uses "Yankee ingenuity". :usflag:

9. sprayboy

from Indiana

I run mine down at about 28.

10. sprayboy

from Indiana

I have used the quick couplers for 6 years.