Active Duty to Reserve AF & LCO?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn_jockey, Dec 6, 2004.

1. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

Basicly, I am leaving the Active duty Air Force after 8 1/2 years of service to pursue my lawn business. I was wondering if any of you fellas are Reservists? If so, how bad does it interfere with your business? Any and all inputs are welcome.

2. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

It interferes pretty bad in my town because the National Guard and Army Reserve units are in Iraq fighting.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

4. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

Great video. Business is a little different for those boys. Thanks for not trying to throw in a gory bloody messy video. But the video does show the power of quite a few of our urban assault vehicles. But anybody have any other input on the reserves that is currently serving in a reserve position? :gunsfirin :cool2:

5. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the Air National Guard down here in Georgia. Warrensburg is my home town. Know the area well. My dad still lives there. I work as a 3E251 at a bombing range. We are a CRTC (Combat Readiness Training Center) one of 4 in the country. All the CRTC's are Non-Deployable. We are a training unit. We have over the water air-to-air ranges, air-to-ground bombing range (where I work) and general readiness training at the base. Look for something on this line and it won't interfere with your business. I got a little torqued at some people in my unit a couple of months ago and thought about going back to a previous Army MOS 13E Fire Direction Control (Field Artillery). I went to the unit and talked to the guys who were more than glad to entertain the idea of me joining the unit. I opted to wait a month or so. Glad I did. They were activated last week for 2 years. 6 months spin up, 1 year in the sand, and 6 months stand down. Just some personal experiences.

Phil

6. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

any naval reservist out there.

7. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Active Duty Navy. Search & Rescue. I fly night shifts, so I have all day to be on the job. Have employees to do the heavy work, one of which is my brother, who is my foreman. I get in and get my hands dirty as much as possible, but never a problem if I need to go. I am done by 1pm every day.

As far as reserves or anybody else goes..unless you have a sweet schedule like mine, good luck with consistency.

Matt

8. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

i just joined the naval reserves as a boatswains mate, I think one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year should allow me to run my buisness. I will request the 2 weeks a year in the winter months.

9. John Smith

John Smith LawnSite Member

Hey Lawn_jockey
    I'm a SSG in the Indiana National Gaurd 11B . Now days be ready to deploy just like active. In other words have a good exit stratagy ie. talk to some good local people that could take your work. Were are you going to store your equipt? Don't't over extend your finances to the point that active duty pay cant cover and still take care of your family. Good stuff to think about. Also what are you going to do with your customers during the 2-3 weeks summer training?

I'm solo, have under 20 local customers and sub for the rest from a realtor with more then one crew available to them. makes it nice because they can spread the work around while i'm gone. I don't think a solo set-up could keep a big enough customer base to make a good living if you left very time the gaurd called, and they will :D

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

After 6 Years active duty Navy, I moved back to Oregon. Got a Job in the ER working with the Comander of the Naval Reserve unit locally. Was really considering doing the reserve thing when my active duty time was up ( I had 3 months of terminal leave), when they deployed to Camp Lejune(sp) NC. Then went to play in the sand in Iraq for a year. I basically came to the conclusion that if I wanted to be activated I would have stayed Active Duty. Any other time I would probably still be in the Reserves.