acts of god

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this week has been windy, very windy. some winds up to 50 mph. i'm blowing the leaves west to east, and the wind is comming from the north, blowing them south. i've had more than one neighbor come out b#tching that i'm getting leaves on thier lawn. one was having an open house, people comming in and out constantly, getting leaves blown at them (by the wind). the open house person asked me to stop, and come back another day, the other two incidents the neighbors asked me to pick up the leaves i blew over there. are YOU responsible for acts of god?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Bobby I'll give ya the answer short and sweet NO! you are not responsible for acts of god. ie: wind,rain,snow ect...

Have a good one

3. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

if your not blowing with the wind than yes but if your trying to go against the win than no. why the heck were you out there anyways if it was blowing 50mph. for fall cleanups wind is like rain for cutting for me

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

No, definately not.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

bettergrass, what should i do, call off work for a week cus it's windy?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No responsibility for acts of God. It's not like you were blowing them all the way over onto their property. I can appreciate the fact that they were wanting to have their openhouse, but just like the realtors have to make their living,...so do you. What would they have said if you were a construction crew, oor a road crew and there was dust blowing their way? Would they ask the road crew to shut down and come back another day? I think not. If you had been out there raking by hand, and putting keaves into piles or rows, there would still be leaves blowing. I do have to say though, I don't see how it's feasibly possible to do a cleanup with 50 mph winds. It's just counter productive with the time it takes.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

actually runner, there's no choice in the matter, it's into december, theres frost on the ground everyday, that makes the leaves either stuck, or wet, and snow can come at anytime, the longer i wait, the greater the possibilty i don't get them done at all. remember now, alot of my cleanups are one time calls from my adds. these leaves are piled thick and wet, havn't been touched this year. inbetween gusts we can get it done, but it's not pretty

8. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

call of work and drink beer. In all honesty I don't know how you can even clean up leaves it if is blowing 50mph. At that point, I think I'd come over to the accounts late and night and blow the leaves in the neighbors yard while they are sleeping. Backpack blowers aren't that loud....

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Ummm.....that's the same thing. lol

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to say this bg, but I told you this might happen...you're better off waiting IMO.