Actual Deck Width

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GLS, Dec 14, 2001.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I am thinking of purchasing a new walk-behind for next year. I need a deck that will fit in a 44" space...my question is, will the metro 36" fit with the deflector up? It's 47" down, so would it be under 44" up? The 32" deck is 43.3" down, so that would fit. Is the 36" much better than the 32"?

A few more questions...
    -Should I get ECS or pistol grips? (ECS only on 36")
    -Is 12.5HP kawa good enough?
    -Does this scalp since it doesn't float?
    -What would the estimated price be?

:) Thanks a lot for the help!:)

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Oryan,

All good questions. The Metro 36" is 36.4" wide with the deflector in the up position and the 32" is 32.7" wide in the up position.

As far as controls go, I've used a pistol grip 32" for several years and it's a great machine. If I were buying a new machine however my personal preference would be the ECS controls. For me they are simply more comfortable. I would however recommend that you compare the two for yourself as soon as your dealer has an ECS control unit in stock.

As far as engines and horsepower the 12.5 hp Kawasaki will handle nearly everything the deck can handle but there will be situations where you might want a little more power. Based on horsepower alone it would really depend on whether youÂ’re cutting commercially and if so would it be your primary machine. If cutting commercially and it's your primary machine always go with big horsepower, the widest cut usable and the best control system for you. My 32" had the 12.5 and I must say I've only had one problem and Scott at Kawasaki covered it under warranty no questions asked. The Kohler 15 has been a good engine as well.

In regards to scalping all lawnmowers will scalp. It doesn't matter whether it's 21" wide or its 72" wide, they will all scalp in the right conditions. Some have anti-scalp rollers some do not. For the most part however you've really got to work at it to make a 32" or a 36" scalp. On a 36" floating deck the real advantages are the belt tensioning system, blade belt clutching system, quick height adjustment and a more consistent quality of cut at each cutting height.

Price ranges between $2300 and $2600 depending upon controls and engine options. Personally I would base my decision on the ECS controls but that's only my opinion.

Thanks

Terry

3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you very much for the advise. I will take that into consideration when it comes time to purchase one.

Ryan