Actual GXV670 (24hp Honda) Oil Refill Capacity

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fatdog47, Aug 29, 2005.

1. fatdog47

fatdog47 LawnSite Member

I am confused about how much oil to put in this engine after a complete oil and filter change. The manual says it should hold 2.6 quarts when the filter is replaced. However, it really takes only 2 quarts. I have followed all the steps the operator and engine manuals recommend, but the oil level shows to be just above the full mark with ONLY 2 quarts. Please advise. THANX!!!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your unit may take a bit less due to you not being able to get every bit of oil out of the system.
    Your unit is a 24hp, it uses a oil cooler, and when you drain the engine oil, you are not getting all of the oil out of the system, there will still be some in the cooler.
    Your engine manual tells you to run the unit at idle then check again, then add or remove oil if needed.
    After you have run the unit, check it again, go by what your dipstick is telling you.

Pj

3. Doodyboy

Doodyboy LawnSite Member

Also make sure you are checking the oil without screwing in the dipstick. This could be the difference.

4. Vetteman38

Vetteman38 LawnSite Member

Is that the correct way to check the oil level? With the dipstick NOT screwed in? If so I been doing it wrong for over a year.
    Thanks Vetteman

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY