1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Actually got fired because...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, May 6, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

My Daughter was in the hospital all week and wasn't about to leave her side except to tend to my other daughter. Has anything like this happend to you guys?
  2. Roigator

Roigator LawnSite Member

That's insane!
  3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Good ridens i say
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Was you fired by a boss or a client? If it was an employer he was a first class jerk, if its a client they are still a first class jerk! My family comes first, none barred the h*ll with work will have to wait untill I get there or kiss my lilly white azz goodbye!!
  5. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Stuff like that is why I started working for myself.
  6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Depending on the size of the company they may have to offer you FMLA.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Shades. When you daughter ended up in the hosptital, did you call your boss to let him know the situation.????

If a customer quit as a result of this, did you think to let your customers know with a phone call or something. "Hey my daughter got hurt and is in the hospital. I may be a bit late with my services this week?"

I had a guy, not the bst employee, no call no show for 4 days. I fired him on the 5 th day. 2 days later he comes in with a Dr's note.

He stayed fired. If an employee doesn't care enough to at least call in and protect his job, Good riddance.

If I was your customer, and I'm used to seeing you on Wed. and I don't see you or hear from you for 3-4 days and the weather is fine....Guess what....I'm calling someone else.

Communication is what separates the good companies from the bad ones.

While you were sitting in the hospital, how hard would it have been to grab you customer list and call your clients, or call your boss......

I am not a heartless SOB, and I tell my guys that family comes first, But their job is what keeps their family eating each night and keeps a roof over their head. having a job and keeping a job is very important. No work, no pay, no pay no food, no rent....
  8. MarcSmith

If the company offers it, that is great. but it's usually the employee's responsibility to ASK for it...
  9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

My best to your daughter and family.

I would need to know more about the situation to sympathize completely.

Having been an employer for forty years, I have heard many a sad tale.
    Most (75%) were not valid reasons for missing work.IMO

Such as the same Grandmother repeatedly dying.
  10. MarcSmith

My daughter got a real bad ear infection two years ago. so bad that she ended up in the hospital for 12 days... and ultimately had to have surgery on her skull to remove infected bone tissue, and then on top of it we had her on home IV treatments for a month after that.

Between my wife an I, thankfully her job allows her to be able to work form home on occassion, or in this case the Hospitial with a laptop computer.. I went in early every day and came out at 12-1 pm went home let the animals out, then spent the rest of the night in the hospital while my wife went into work late and then spent the night at home....

It was a rough couple weeks but we made do, and even before calling my parents, I called my employer and worked out a schedule. to allow at least one parent to be bed side during the normal working hours.