Acute Cut's article in Turf mag...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Acute, read your article yesterday, nice job! I like the fact that you mentioned how you modified yours to make it work better for you, but still had a guard ON the unit.

I can't believe guys run without them, I get hit with so much crap even with it on I wouldn't want to even attempt running without.

Anyway, good job on the story as it sure seemed to reflect the "likes" and "dislikes" we've seen here on LS.com.

Buck

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Again,

try running it without a guard. the guard doesnt stop much stuff from hitting anyway. We wear pants which may help, but i am glad that the dang thing feels about 10 lbs lighter

Trevor

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what did he modify?

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

here, i'm constantly squeezing my trimmer in hard to reach ares. for example today, i had to stick it through the bottom stairs of a deck to get the strands that were underneath. also between tight landscape plants to cut some weeds down. granted i think they w=are makingthe gaurds smaller and smaller every year. i borrowed a buddy's old Mc Collouch, the gaurd had to weigh 25 pounds!!!!

5. Up North

from MN

TC, he put a smaller guard on and mounted it a little higher on the shaft.

FGA & Trevor, I did a commercial lawn at noon today, took the guard off and I can see where you guys are coming from as far as being able to get into some tighter areas without any hassle. But I did take a lot more shrapnel also. Maybe it's regional thing, here we have such sandy soil and lawns are very thin, in fact a lot of places you'll have pure sand and a few weeds growing next to a pole or along a fenceline and it doesn't take much to toss a piece of grit into a tooth or up the nose. The guard on my Echo is pretty small as it is (SRM210) and not too hard to work around objects. I think the guards on the Stihl and others are pretty big so I can see where they could be a PITA.

Anyway, my guard is back on and will stay on.

Buck

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well up north, at least i can give your props for being ballsey enough to try it with it off. Most guys will not even try removing it, and stick with their method, and cut others down because it isnt the way they do it. You obviously found what you like better, but you tried both ways..which is good.

Trevor

7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Article Acute Cut, just got done reading it... We are thinking about mounting the guard up higher on our Stihl FS80, because it doesn't seem to get enough line out at one time and have to bump the head quite often.

8. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~Ahh we have always ran without,, if your good ya know how to angle it right to not get beat up. ~~

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

10. Up North

from MN

Gtotoy, guess I'm not that good yet...:D :D