Ad Budget

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by earthtool, Oct 13, 2003.

1. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

The ad below was mailed to the community, and I am no less than jealous. My ad budget falls far short of this type of display ad.
    How can the little guy (like me and maybe a few of you) compete with this type of advertisement?

2. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

It is visually appealing. However, you could have 1 or 2 color door hangers printed up. Find a local distribution company, or a boys scout troop and have them placed on the doors of your targeted audience and have a similar response rate. Cost should not exceed $.35 a piece for a little as 1000.

Besides, if you are small, you do not want to distribute more pieces than you could reasonably respond to.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Earthtool,

Others will have more insight into this topic. However, word of mouth advertising may just be the best way to attract new clients.
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with gopher word of mouth is the best Works for me
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I guarantee you that the quality of work that they do is "NOT" up the same standards of work that I do! :)
  6. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Whether you can afford such a printed ad campaign notice something in their pricing structure.

39 5-10K
    29 0-5K
    So they figure it's $10 per 5,000 with a $19 base.

79 5-10K
    49 0-5k
    So they figure it $30 per 5,000 with a $19 base

Tree fert
    39 5-10K
    29 0-5K
    So they figure it's $10 per 5,000 with a $19 base.

Regular price for all three
    157 5-10K
    107 0-5K

Sale is

IF they do all three in one stop they should be able to drop price by $40 for the two service calls they don't have to do. Instead they only drop by $8. So their money maker is 3-deal rather than saving the customer more money on it- classic up-selling.

Same goes for two fert programs. They would charge $58. I could go down to $38 but might as well sell on $49. IF I wanted to compete on price.

IF I could match their price on each service I would compete more on the three service price. IF I wanted to compete on price. ;)

As for the ad campaign a small operation CAN compete with large operations by using their own color printer and a digital camera. By printing in small qty on your own printer you can produce equal quality stuff at an affordable price.

My 4-in-1 HP printer was less than $600 and does photo quality printing. In fact I just printed that photo above and it looks GOOD. Notice no copyright on the stock (although even without notice it's still assumed).

It would be REAL fun just to drop your name and # over theirs and then go door to door to talk to and sign up customers.
    Have that same page printed out on paper on clip board to show them and ask for an order right then in person.... That would be the second recognition for some and more likely to buy. Probably wouldn't sit well with the competition, but hey that's why it's called competition.

Or take THEIR ad unaltered and walk around and say "You may have seen this ad last week, Well I'm Earthtool and we are matching these prices for customers who sign up today for service tomorrow." No infringement, no additional printing costs for you, just straight competition.

They prob got the layout from a national firm that you could do the EXACT same thing anyway if you were contact the same firm.

Who would be jealous then???

An abundance of customers.:D

p.s. if you don't have a deep root gun, I have used a power drill with an auger to drill holes around a trees' drip line and then fill with granular slow-release fert.
  7. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

Thank you to one and all for your time. It seems that I like so many others are good at installs or apps but seem to fall short in the business end. I know I can come here and share my short comings and not get a butt kicking.
    Are any of you going to Expo at Louisville? If so I would be happy to have lunch with any that would.
    Thanks again.
  8. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

As many time as people here say to do flyers, I still do not think they are the most effective way to advertise, although I can't really say what it is. I found making my own signs turned out to be much more effective for the ammount of time spent, although I realize this could get you in troube with the city in some cases, but I think it proves a point that having to deliver a flyer to each house is just not going to be that efficient. Last time I paid about 10 cents a flyer to deliver 1000, and the got about 3 initial calls, and one regular customer, which means I paid $100 plus flyers, probably $140 for one customer, which doesn't seem very efficient to me.

I'm looking into a local website, advertising a computer business on it now, since it is the end of the season. The site shows football stats for high schools all over the city. It costs only $200 for an entire year to put an ad for the school district closest to me (which had about 1000 hits last month). I'll post as soon as I have some results, but may not put the lawn service on it untill spring.