Ad on local map?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by eruuska, Jul 22, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys n gals,

I got a call yesterday from someone selling ads on county maps that will be distributed by the police department and local merchants. She said at least 3000 copies will be distributed. The ad would be about 3" x 3". It would cost about $210 and I'd be the only LCO on the map.

Has anyone used this kind of advertising? Was it effective? I figure that if I picked up 2 regular mowing clients it would more than pay for itself, maybe even 1 would do it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanksabunch.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Never heard of anyone doing that before. How often do people really look at a map though? I use Mapquest or similar now. Have you considered listing with Yahoo local? A map is generally used by out of towners and I can't see where they would be interested in the service. jmy.02

3. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I don't think I would go for the map advertisement, I just don't see people using maps too often, even if 3000 are distributed.

What is a Yahoo Local?

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

What a waste

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Nuff said. I'll take a pass on it and continue to use what I know works.

Thanks again, guys!

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Smart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree, I use maps a LOT myself but would likely pay no attention to any ads because I am using the map to find a street, not a service.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a few of those type of maps for the county/city and don't pay attention to the advertisements. When I need to locate a business I don't head for the county/city map. I look in the yellow pages or the local paper. Sounds like a big waste of money to me.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi eruuska,

I would think if the police would be handing them out. Maybe they would be handed to motorists that are lost or out of towners? If that were the case, it wouldn't be a group you would want to target.

<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>