adapter for inlet side of valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ohenry, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ohenry

ohenry LawnSite Member

Thought I'd throw this out there, as I've seen it done several ways. Just curious what folks here would say is the "right" way to do it.

What's your standard procedure for the inlet side of a plastic valve? Regular Sch. 40 male adapter off of Sch. 40 manifold? A Sch. 80 male adapter (harder to find, seems much more expensive) off Sch. 40 manifold? A threaded Sch. 80 pipe (half a nipple) off a Sch. 40 coupling off a Sch. 40 manifold? A Sch. 80 nipple off a Sch. 40 female adapter?

Something else? (Use all solvent-weld valves? Hah.)

For purposes of this, we assume no poly pipe involved, a Sch. 40 mainline of some size larger than the valve itself.

Just wondering, and thanks to all for the many insights and bits of education this forum offers to those of us who usually just lurk.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Cut a sch 80 'machined' nipple in half, and you have two TOE nipples. By the way, if you aren't using poly, and your soil temperatures are not dropping below freezing, why not use slip x slip valves?

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

When using a master valve -> SCH40 manifold, otherwise SCH80. Connection to the manifold depends on the valve. I like things I can take apart with minimal effort and material loss.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I like threaded valves, also. Have used Toro sch 40 manifold tees for years,
    sch 40 m.i.p.s downstream. On brass master valves, sch 80 m.i.p.s.:)

5. I'm in the sch 80 nipple camp. We rarely use threaded valves since everything is glued in these days but this is what we do on DCVA replacements and on 1.5" valves. Our long lost friend Purp got me doing it this way.