adapting a western plow

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by peteloare, Jun 25, 2005.

1. peteloare

peteloare LawnSite Member

I am purchasing a 2005 gmc 1 ton. Want to adapt my western uni-mount 7.5' plow from my 98 gmc 3/4 ton to it. I am being told it cant be done.

Is this true or do they just want to sell me a new plow.

Deyo landscapes
    Howell Mich.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Go over the sister site. They are the guys who would know. I belive you just need the truck side mounts and wiring harness to make it work.
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be a jerk or anything, but i think you should at least get a 8' on a 1 ton. If you have the plow at full angle, you will be running over snow with your opposite rear tire. Just some food for thought.
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete-I have to agree with dstosh, that is too small of a plow for a 1-ton. I have a 7'6" on my 2500HD srw and I wish I went bigger. As far as adapting the Unimount to an 05, it can be done, but you may have to buy an Ultramount truck-side mount, plus an adapter to mount the Unimount. You can get more info on that from Western's site.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The plow is going to be the weak link on an 05 truck. For the few thousand more, I would buy a new plow and all associated stuff, then sell the plow from the '98 for a grand of $1,500.00 or so. If you roll the cost of a plow into the loan, you are looking at another $30.00 a month, and what will it cost when the older plow stops working in a storm? You are doing the right thing with a new truck, buying the best and all, so, why would you not do the same with the plow?

Makes the most sense to me.
  6. AL Inc

Good point, Bill. The window of opportunity is so small in a snow storm, that any downtime is devastating. I think it is worth it to buy new when it comes to snow equipment. Plus, you'll love the Ultramount. I can take it off or put it on in about 30 seconds. Our Unimount stays on my Chevy 3500 all winter because I hate taking it on and off.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why they call it the Unimount. Because it take U aNd I to mount it.
  8. AL Inc

LOL itsgottobegreen, true, so true :D