1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Adcice on newspaper ad?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BryPaulD, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I'm going to run an ad in the classifieds for a week, (local newspaper) for fall clean ups. I could use some help as far as wording. Short and to the point so people can know approximately what's getting done. I was thinking something like:

For fall yard clean outs
    Call (my name) today- *******

What do you thinK? Thanks in advance :)
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I put one in today:

O'Donnell Landscaping
    Fall clean up specials
    Christmas lighting
    Fall,tree & Shrub pruning & fertilizing
  3. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

I like to go with an ad that says a little bit more about my business. Like this:
    Jimm Denver Landscaping:
    professional, responsible, affordable.
    Free estimates for fall cleanup, 15+ years in business.
    Full range of services offered.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think Jimms is a bit more appealing. The licensed and insured thing is all good, but not necessary for a newspaper ad.
    The first one,...Forget the "Now taking orders" thing. That does three things. First, it wastes customers time reading it, wastes your money on an unnecessary line (that says nothing), and it also tells the potential customer "Hey,...get in line!"
  5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

FALL CLEANUPS (they already know it's yard, it's in that section and what else is fall related?)
    Fast, Courteous & Thorough
    Leaves, Limbs, Debris
    Call Today! Joebob @ 555-1212

Still 4 lines, quick, direct and gives the info you want while telling the customer what to do with that info.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>

Hi BryPaulD,
    Have you also considered including some kind of discount that can be used for a limited time? It might make your company stand out over others.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree it doesn't sound that good...
    If you want something catchy for the first line, maybe 'Free Estimates' would work but be aware that tends to attract the something-for-nothing crowd, at least that's been my experience.

Personally, I go with the name of the business on the first line myself but it may not be the best idea far as raw phone-calls, if you want that then put the bit with leaf cleanup on the first line like GreenUtah said and get ready lol.

Last but not least, I wouldn't offer discounts for leaves, it's low-ball enough as it is, a discount only makes it that much tougher for us to even cover ourselves, but that's just me...

SONSCAPES LawnSite Member

in my areas newspaper it is listed in alpabetical order so i try to start with an "A" or close to it. ex. affordable fall cleanups there are so many in the paper that it is really my only hope with line ads.