Add bit of oil to air filters??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmanlq, Apr 19, 2008.

1. gmanlq

gmanlq LawnSite Member

I remember when I was buying my new Exmark Turf Tracer HP a few weeks ago that my dealer said I should add a few drops of the engine oil to the outer air filter for the 15HP Kawi engine. Any of you guys do the same thing with your Exmark mowers? I thought that was strange so I looked in the owner's manual and there was no metion of it so I didn't add it. I've since changed the oil and the outer air filter once each. I blow out the air filter with the blower often and it seems to be running fine.

I put all the gear in a covered trailer. Well yesterday afternoon I could detect a faint smell of something burning so I got concerned. I didn't see anything that could catch fire near anything hot. Perhaps it was just fumes from when I ran the mower in their. Anyone else experience this? Pollen has been messing with my sinuses.

Thanks.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it catches debree and dust better. few drops of oil ring the element and slap er back on.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Works great. Go to any motorcycle shop and they actually sell oil for this purpose. Often wondered why they don't mention this for mowers. Just use a good sticky oil so it doesn't bleed onto your paper element, and squeeze out all the excess. We keep spare clean ones in a ziploc already coated in oil so the others can dry after we wash them, and then they go into the bag.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I thought I heard of someone putting wd40 on air cleaner elements before but I'm not sure if my memory is correct. Of course you are talking about the rubber seal though, correct?

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

are these Donaldson or Nelson type canister filters, or the round automotive style filters with the foam pre-filter. Engine oil analysis is showing higher levels of slica/silicon in engine's running oiled filters or oiled pre-filters. I would try a dry synthetic oil-less nano-fiber filter when possible. While oiled pre-filters work great, if their is a synthetic filter options I switch.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Are there synthetic filter options for Donaldson type filters?

7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just on foam pre-filter element. I trust the canisters with their two filters, but foam lets to much past to clog the paper element quicker on non canister. Small engines like briggs with only foam elements always tell you to oil them. You need to clean them more often, but thats a good thing imo.

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Donaldson makes a P-series premium synthetic media filter, special order though. Donaldson has earned, and is a respected air & oil filter company, if i cannot get a AMSOIL filter Donaldson is my second choice then WiX

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

We always oil'ed our foam prefilters when we blew out the air filter. We would take some dawn dish soap and wash just the foam filter out. Then ring it try and blow it off a little to try to get rest of the water off of it. Then rub some motor oil all over the foam prefilter. Put the foam prefilter back on the paper filter and install. We did this every time we changed blades. That was 10 years ago when I worked for someone, but I still do it to my 13 hp Honda on my little wonder.